Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition failed with the error: The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition.

Hi guys;

I've been all over this question on other forums but no one has had this issue with an SSD drive.

Some people defragged and then partitioned.

Obviously I cant do that. Any advice besides backing up the entire drive, reformatting and starting again with a partition?

Drew

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:46 PM

6 replies

Jul 7, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Drew777

If you are using 10.6, try booting off the DVD to do the partition there. If that doesn't work, would you try making a screen shot of Disk Utility so people can see what you are seeing? Make sure you cover any personal information using Preview. Post the screen shot in a Reply using the camera icon or you can drag the screen shot into a reply. Copy and paste doesn't work.

Screen shots

Jul 7, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Eric Root

User uploaded file

Hi Eric;

Thanks for the reply.

Here's the screengrab when the partition fails.

It goes through the verifying, then half way through the shrinking process, then quits.

I tried booting off the DVDROM and using disk utility there, no luck.

Am I beat on this one?

I have idefrag (but won't use it on an SSD) and it shows its fragmented a bit.

I wonder if I can drag everything off, format, drag the previous install on, then partition.

(I'm hoping there's another easier solution as that sounds like a lot of back and forth.

Drew

Partition failed with the error: The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.