Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 macs with access to 1 iTunes library on an external drive

I am a little stumped and I am hoping it's an easy solution. I have 2 iMacs & a Macbook pro (all on Yosemite). All the computers use the same apple id for iTunes. My iTunes library is too large to store on any of the computers hard drives, so I opted to put it all on an external drive

I already have the Entire iTunes Library, [The whole folder (Media, .itl, .xml, .itdb, etc.)] on an external drive attached to my airport extreme router.

Currently 1 iMac (call it Computer A) can access and edit content, and playlists, etc. "Computer A's" iTunes path is /Volumes/Seagate/iTunes/iTunes Media

It runs the same as if the iTunes folder was in the default music folder on the computers hard drive.

I tried to connect Computer B to the same path but I get warnings like

"The iTunes Library Extras.itdb file is locked, or you do not have permission for this file"

I tried "Home Sharing", I can access the the library and playlists that "Computer A" is connected to, from "Computer B", but i can't edit playlists or anything like that.

I would like to be able to have the other 2 computers access the same library files and be able to add and edit content and playlists.

How can this be done?

I would like to be able to sit down at any computer and be able to use iTunes and make changes to the library. I would like to be able to access my iTunes library with my apple tv's (i have 3) no matter which computer has iTunes up and running.

Please help

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:36 PM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Xani1999

Others have asked about this and the ideal solution does not exist.

Each computer can use the complete library (hold down the option key while starting iTunes and select the .itl file on the external) but the library file can only be opened by one computer at a time (which will lock it to others). Media alone can be shared by multiple computers at a time but this requires each computer has its own library file which means it is a lot of work trying to keep them current. This is not the same as Home Sharing which is designed so you can play media in another library but not actually edit the library since it isn't yours, or put a copy of media on that other computer in your library (ending up with two copies).

3 macs with access to 1 iTunes library on an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.