Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting texts after you've switched to a non-iPhone

10 days ago I switched from iPhone to Samsung. Just today I deregistered my iMessages on my old iPhone. I still do not get all texts from iPhone friends (esp. group messages), though. What should I do? Do I need to deactivate my phone # from iTunes? Is there a waiting period for deactivation? I thought I had read it could take a couple of weeks for my number to be fully de-registered from iMessage? Thanks for any help! It's really frustrating not getting texts!

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:15 PM

8 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:20 PM in response to cschlicht

I also just turned off FaceTime (in settings where I deregistered iMessage). I had not done that before so maybe that was part of the problem..?

Also, I looked at the Apple support page again and it said 3 or so days and not weeks (as I said originally) before the deregistration could take full effect...

Finally, as a point of clarification: I seem to be able to text iPhone users one-on-one without too much trouble; but, when I put those same users into a group message, I don't get their replies. They get each others' replies (per usual group message format) but I don't. If that doesn't happen, what seems to happen is that messages come back to me only [no one else gets them] and they don't nest under the group message...they come back to me in other text threads from those individuals.... I think we did remedy this in my Active S6 message settings, but that was an issue, too.

Thanks again for any suggestions on how to send/receive texts from iPhone friends - especially group texts!

Carrie

Jul 6, 2015 8:28 PM in response to iosplanet

Yes! A friend said I had to "unlink" my phone from iTunes completely (I was on a screen in iTunes that asked if I wanted to remove or "deauthorize" the three computers authorized to play content purchased with my Apple ID...I only use one computer but must have other/previous computers still linked). Is that what she meant? I should deauthorize all of those devices? I am not sure if know how to do that, though... Any tips? (Aside from clicking "Deauthorize All")

Thank you!

Carrie

Jul 6, 2015 8:36 PM in response to cschlicht

Deauthorize is only for purchases that you have made with your apple id so other devices can have access to them, this does not affect imessage. But like I was saying if you have any devices that are signed in with your apple id in messages or facetime that have your phone number registered in there settings it would be good to sign out of those devices or applications. But if you want to de-authorize your devices, yes you can just push deauthorize all.

Jul 6, 2015 8:49 PM in response to iosplanet

Got it. It did get turned back on tonight (I did an IOS update so I could back up my phone...was thinking that resetting it might also help, but maybe not...?) - wanted to back it up before I did that (which I haven't done yet). So, I did turn off iMessages again in settings tonight and I turned off FaceTime. If I just log out of iTunes, is that enough there? I see my phone number is part of my Apple ID Summary on my "Account Information" page. Does that mean my # is linked to iTunes, too?

Sorry for all the questions - you're being very helpful. I appreciate it!

Carrie

Jul 6, 2015 9:08 PM in response to cschlicht

If your number is linked with itunes that is ok that is just part of your account information. But that was the issue if you have the iphone and imessage is turned on that means your number is registered with imessage and you will have issues receiving messages but as soon as you turn imessage off that will deregister your number from imessage.

Jul 6, 2015 9:14 PM in response to iosplanet

Yep - iMessages had been off all day (and I still had issues) - it did get turned on again tonight (during the IOS update), but I've turned it off again (and I turned off FaceTime this evening, too). Guess we'll give it a few days and see what happens. I had not turned off FaceTime this morning, so that might have been my problem throughout the day. But I definitely had texting problems even after we deregistered the phone's iMessages this morning. Guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully turning off Facetime helps! I don't think we have any other Apple devices linked to my phone or account, so that's good.

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!

Carrie

Getting texts after you've switched to a non-iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.