Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay is unresponsive. Do I need to open passbook first before holding next to the terminal?

Apple Pay is set up with two credit cards on my iPhone6. When holding next to the terminal, the phone is unresponsive. Do I have to open Passbook first?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:52 AM

You shouldn't need to open Passbook. When you are at a location that accepts Apple Pay (or most mobile payment methods) you should just need to hold your phone near the terminal and you should see the option to make the payment with your Touch ID.

Does this happen everywhere that Apple Pay is accepted or have you had the chance to test other places? If it happens everywhere, there may be a problem with your NFC chip. Make an appointment at a Genius Bar where they can test the NFC chip in-store and test Apple Pay. If you haven't been able to try it at other locations, try somewhere like McDonald's where you know Apple Pay should work.

Of course I'm assuming that you're in the US and have a US billing address for your credit card.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:52 AM in response to St.AuggieGeorge

You shouldn't need to open Passbook. When you are at a location that accepts Apple Pay (or most mobile payment methods) you should just need to hold your phone near the terminal and you should see the option to make the payment with your Touch ID.

Does this happen everywhere that Apple Pay is accepted or have you had the chance to test other places? If it happens everywhere, there may be a problem with your NFC chip. Make an appointment at a Genius Bar where they can test the NFC chip in-store and test Apple Pay. If you haven't been able to try it at other locations, try somewhere like McDonald's where you know Apple Pay should work.

Of course I'm assuming that you're in the US and have a US billing address for your credit card.

Apple Pay is unresponsive. Do I need to open passbook first before holding next to the terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.