Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stretch/shrink length of individual region?

I'm using Garageband to create an uptempo rock version of an existing song and I have a few questions that would help me do this.

I have imported the original MP3 of the song (which I muted for recording due to the difference in tempo), and I managed to find a midi file of the drum track for the song. I have then recorded all guitar and bass tracks at the new tempo.

What I would now like to do is shrink/squash the imported MP3 of the original song to match the tempo of my recorded tracks. Where it gets tricky, is that I have mostly maintained the structure of the original song, but I have cut out a section or two here and there so I need to cut out sections of the original song. I am comfortable with splitting the original MP3 to create regions, however, I'd like to be able to take an individual region and then drag it to make it suit the length of the recorded tracks, with the audio being sped up or slowed down to match its new length. When I try to do this however, I can only seem to trim the track, rather than actually stretch or shrink the track to change the length of it.

Is there any way that I can achieve what I'm going for?

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:57 PM

3 replies

Jul 14, 2015 10:09 AM in response to funkywrench

You are right, Flex Time in GarageBand lets you only flex (correct) sections inside a Region between Flex Markers.

However, there is a trick:

1. Make sure that the Audio Region is truncated and positioned at the correct beginning
  2. It helps to have a extra space (silence) at the end of the Audio Region
  3. Let's assume the Region starts at Bar 1 and ends at Bar 10. The actually "music" is only between bar 1 and bar 8 and the last two bars of the Region are silence.
  4. Turn on Flex in the Audio Editor and click-hold on the Audio Region on Bar 9. This creates a Flex Marker at the clicked position and and additional Flex Markere to the left and one on the right of the click position
  5. Move (while still holding down the mouse click) the clicked position all the way to the left at bar 1 and back to bar 9. This deleted all the "Boundary Markers" in the Audio Region and you can stretch now the entire Audio Region (from the beginning of the Region to the clocked position).

The Flex operation only happens between the left and right "Boundary" Flex Marker of the clicked position. What you dod with this trick is define the left Boundary" at the beginning of the Region, and therefore, stretch that entire section.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

How to stretch/shrink length of individual region?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.