Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased a used IPhone 5 and would like to unlock it to use with a different carrier. How can I do that?

I purchased a used IPhone 5 and would like to unlock it to use with a different carrier. How can I do that?

iPhone 5, null

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:51 PM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2015 10:00 PM in response to gdsmall

That is correct. Any of the Verizon phones that were LTE capable, like the iPhone 5, the GSM side of the phone is unlocked. You will not need to unlock it to use it with another carrier. The requirement to unlock the GSM side of their LTE phones was a settlement for obtaining additional LTE bands. You should be able to just insert the SIM for the new carrier you wish to use and the device should work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.