Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update a 3rd generation iPod to iOS 7

How do I update a 3rd generation iPod to iOS 7?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:57 PM

You don't. A 3rd generation iPod Touch cannot be updated past iOS 5.1.1.

If you have an iPod touch with iOS 6.1.6 you have a Fourth Generation iPod Touch, and it cannot be updated past iOS 6.1.6

Only a Fifth Generation iPod Touch could be updated to iOS 7 when it was released. Now it can only be updated to iOS 8.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 7:57 PM in response to Myaa_Cowan

You don't. A 3rd generation iPod Touch cannot be updated past iOS 5.1.1.

If you have an iPod touch with iOS 6.1.6 you have a Fourth Generation iPod Touch, and it cannot be updated past iOS 6.1.6

Only a Fifth Generation iPod Touch could be updated to iOS 7 when it was released. Now it can only be updated to iOS 8.

Jul 10, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Phil0124

That's really unfortunate. Do you know if there is any way to install an app that requires iOS 7 to a 3rd gen iPod? Is there a way to install the last compatible version of an app instead? I know that is an option when you go to update an app that now requires iOS 7; the app store says it can't update to the most recent update, but it asks if you want to update to the last compatible version of the application. Like I said though, that is only if the app is already installed. Nearly every app I try to install now fails because I don't have iOS 7. Is there any way around that? What if I jailbreak my device? -Ray

Jul 10, 2015 1:57 PM in response to AlreadyGuilty

If the developer supports it then download the current version of the app on your computer's iTunes so that it's in your account's purchase history, then on your iPod go to the Purchased tab and see if you can download an older compatible version of the app - you should see something similar to below if you can :

User uploaded file

If the app is paid-for then check with the developer first to see if that will work, don't buy it and then find that it doesn't.

Jailbreaking can't be discussed on here : Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issu…

How do I update a 3rd generation iPod to iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.