Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3 not working in Windows 7

Hello,

I am using a 2014 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina display with Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp (and fully updated). I have a USB 3 external drive, which I have plugged directly into the computer with a USB 3 cable, but it will only connect at USB 2 on Windows (get a "this device can perform faster" message). It seems to connect at USB 3 just fine in OS X.

I have made sure I have all of the updated drivers via Bootcamp Assistant. I've verified in Windows Device Manager that the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and Root Hub drivers are installed and up to date. I checked the USB connection with UsbTreeView, and verified that it is indeed only connecting at USB 2 instead of 3. Tried both USB ports on the computer, with the same problem.

Any ideas about how to get Windows to recognize this as a USB 3 device? Than

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:21 PM

Can you run a SMC Reset - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support - and test?

2 replies

USB 3 not working in Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.