Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Apps for the Mac externally? (Disk space issue)

My MacBook Air downloads updates automatically through the Apps Store application. However, the updates that require restarting the Mac also require additional disk space. Therefore, my problem is that I had enough disk space to download the update, but not enough to restart and install it. I do, however, own an external hard drive. Is there a way I can move these updates to the EHD & install them externally, or somehow use the EHD to install updates without moving around my files on my Mac?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:37 PM

I think that you would be better off moving your iPhoto and iTunes media libraries to an external drive to make more space and leave on the Mac's HDD what OS X always expects to find there.

You just need to remember that you must mount the drive with the media libraries before opening iPhoto and iTunes so they can find the libraries. otherwise they will start new ones on your HDD.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 8:37 PM in response to MarkG94

I think that you would be better off moving your iPhoto and iTunes media libraries to an external drive to make more space and leave on the Mac's HDD what OS X always expects to find there.

You just need to remember that you must mount the drive with the media libraries before opening iPhoto and iTunes so they can find the libraries. otherwise they will start new ones on your HDD.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4

How to update Apps for the Mac externally? (Disk space issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.