Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI to USB interface duplicates notes in chords or regular playing

Hey everyone, I bought a MIDI to USB interface to connect my Casio Privia PX-120 to my macbook pro retina and I'm having a problem with it. If I slowly play one note after the other everything is fine, but as long as I play many notes (like playing a regular song), the notes start to duplicate and everything messes up. Same thing happens with chords: when I play a 3 note chord it sounds alright but as soon as I lift my fingers from the keys the notes sound again...Casio doesn't offer any drivers for mac but I downloaded one that I guess is a third party driver...not sure, just saw it online in these forums and decided to give it a go. My interface was quite cheap, the ones with a USB on one side and MIDI IN/OUT on the other.

I'm completely new to the MIDI world and not too experienced in Logic so if anybody knows what's going on please help me! Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 9:05 PM

6 replies

Jul 7, 2015 6:26 AM in response to agustinnn

Also.. Reading between the lines in your post.....

If you have both Midi In and Midi Out connected to your Casio...

Find the setting on your Casio to turn Local OFF (See Page E 28 of the Casio's User Guide)

This will then stop you hearing two notes for every one note played.. as I assume you are hearing the notes play the Casio's sound engine... and so you are getting the notes playing the Casio directly from the keyboard and the same notes being looped back from the Computer to the Casio.... duplicating everything.

Note: You will only hear the Casio play when you have it connected to Logic.... If you want to play the Casio in standalone again you will need to unplug the Casio from the Midi interface and turn Local back ON again....

Jul 7, 2015 4:10 PM in response to agustinnn

Then, as Erik suggested.. It's likely top be the cheap Midi interface you bought....

As I have often said before.. (and apologies to those that have heard me repeat this endlessly....)

I simply don't understand why some people spend thousands of dollars on their Macs, keyboards, plugins, software and so on.. and then spend just a few buck on a cheap audio or midi interface..

It's like buying a $240K Ferrari, fitting $50 tires to it and wondering why it then performs like a Kia Rio!

🙂

Seriously, buy an interface of at least a quality that matches the rest of your setup.... and you will be fine...

The best one in the lowest price bracket would be the iConnectMidi2+ imho.... $89 and works great with modern OS X versions..... and also allows you to use your iPad/iPhone and passthrough iOS Audio through to Logic....

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

Jul 7, 2015 4:19 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I play the piano and happen to have a macbook because I edit video and photos, so I figured it could come in handy to start seeing how music production works. Besides, in my country everything related to electronics is extremely expensive (if available, even....). Maybe that makes you understand. It could have worked! I'm gonna keep looking around to see if I find a solution. Thanks anyway!

Jul 7, 2015 4:31 PM in response to agustinnn

Oh I understand what you are saying and i do sympathize.... but what i suggested, still applies as you found out.... and i gave you the best suggestion/solution I could for the lowest priced Midi interface that actually works reliably.... with modern OS X's and USB3 ports.. (another factor to bear in mind as many cheap USB2 interfaces do not function correctly when plugged into a USB3 port)

It is, of course, your decision.... as to what you buy..... but be aware, there are many more cheap interfaces out there that will do much the same thing and you will just likely waste even more money and time....

Cheers.. and good luck!

Nigel

MIDI to USB interface duplicates notes in chords or regular playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.