Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I re-install 'grand piano on stage' to my newly updated garageband?

I have recently purchased a newer computer and upgraded to the latest version of garageband.

However, it is missing my favourite sound 'grand piano on stage'.

And when I try to open an old project that I recorded with that sound it comes out with an awful sounding substitute keyboard.

Does anybody here know how to get that sound back or do you know how to change the current sound to make it sound like it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GarageBand (Mac) '11

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:40 AM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 4:49 AM in response to i am the real tony stark

How did you migrate the documents an data from your old computer to the new computer? If you used the Migration Assistant, it will not have copied your instruments.

Open the following folder on your old Mac or a backup of the old Mac:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

(this is the "Library" folder at the top level of your system drive - MacintoshHD - look int the subfolder "Application Support", then GarageBand)

This folder contains the instrument library with the sound you had installed on the old Mac.

Your Grand Piano on Stage should be here:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Track Settings/Software/Pianos and Keyboards/Grand Piano On Stage.cst

But copy any missing files and folders from this folder to your new mac. There may be more missing instruments and sounds.

How can I re-install 'grand piano on stage' to my newly updated garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.