Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Location Services Broken

It seems that all the Google services that my iPhoto 9.4.3 (under 10.8.5) relies on for Location features, including the POI database for assigning a location and the location maps, have been turned off. I can no longer look up a location, I can't see any maps, and I can't even select a location in Places and click "Show Photos" anymore.

In other words, most of what I need to do with iPhoto right now I can no longer do. This started a week or two ago, and I hung on thinking it was just a temporary outage, but now I wonder if Apple turned this all off to force people to upgrade. I don't think is fair. When I bought my MacBook Air, it did not have an expiration date. I should be able to keep using any program it came with until the day the hardware gives up the ghost.

What can I do?

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 1:20 AM

17 replies

Jul 7, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

HelloTerence Devlin. I do not care who switch off this service... but apple as product owner and developper should give us at least an answer. I spent a lot of time organizing my photos. It is true that they have newest options but I just do not want to follow the way of one year big update they propose. This is why i think they should ,at least ,give some support to their old versions.

I will not update in any case and i will consider twice about using any other apple software if they do not solve this issue.

Jul 7, 2015 3:50 AM in response to Jim Gottlieb

It seems that all the Google services that my iPhoto 9.4.3 (under 10.8.5) relies on for Location features, including the POI database for assigning a location and the location maps, have been turned off. I can no longer look up a location, I can't see any maps, and I can't even select a location in Places and click "Show Photos" anymore.

What happens when you try? Are you seeing an empty map? DO you get an error message?

Empty maps can be caused by a firewall or antivirus software blocking the connection to the map servers. For example Little Snitch or Kaspersky have been reported to be causing broken map services.

Have you recently enabled any AV software or firewalls?

Jul 7, 2015 7:57 AM in response to léonie

I do not see iPhoto on the list, only photos app. As we all know they use the apple maps and not google maps as thr version i am using. It could be that they did not realized or simply they do not care at all.

My aperture version suffers the same issue. So I think it is more related to google than to apple.

I can assure it is not the library or my mac. This is why I point to apple or google.

Jul 7, 2015 12:09 PM in response to Yer_Man

Please enlighten me as to how I "ask them". Yes, I've submitted feedback, but that's not asking them; it's dropping some text into a bottomless well.

I could go to the Genius Bar, but my experience in the past with such issues is they just shrug their shoulders. They never offer to investigate and try to contact someone who might know what's going on.

Jul 7, 2015 3:18 PM in response to léonie

I am using Apertute 3.4.5 on ML. This version shares the google maps function with iphoto so I guess, as someone mentioned before, that it must be something related to the google maps API. I reported again the issue to apple. I will give them some more days because i do not want to update to yosemite. Furthermore, nobody can warranty that after upgrading to yosemite and installing aperture 3.6, the maps stop working there after some months.

Apple will not give a buck anymore for aperture or iphoto... it is understandable having a brand new app on the frontline.

All Location Services Broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.