Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open CSV file with numbers

Hi all,

I've already search this answer on the web but looks like to open a CSV file with numbers you have just to open the file with it. So, when I open the CSV file with Numbers the app doesn't recognizes the commas as separators so it visualize all the values in the same cell.

What is the way to do recognize the commas as separators?

Best Regards,

Giacomo

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:11 AM

Hello

I guess your decimal separator is comma, in which case Numbers arbitrarily assumes field separator in CSV is semi-colon.

In order to let Numbers accept comma-separated CSV data, you need to temporarily change your system's number format in System Preferences.app - namely:

1) Quit Numebrs.app;

2) In System Preferenecs.app, set decimal separator to period;

3) Launch Numbers.app, import the CSV data, save the imported file and quit Numbers.app;

4) In System Preferenecs.app, restore decimal separator to comma;

5) Launch Numbers.app and open the file saved in 3).

Good luck,

H

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:11 AM in response to PGiacomo

Hello

I guess your decimal separator is comma, in which case Numbers arbitrarily assumes field separator in CSV is semi-colon.

In order to let Numbers accept comma-separated CSV data, you need to temporarily change your system's number format in System Preferences.app - namely:

1) Quit Numebrs.app;

2) In System Preferenecs.app, set decimal separator to period;

3) Launch Numbers.app, import the CSV data, save the imported file and quit Numbers.app;

4) In System Preferenecs.app, restore decimal separator to comma;

5) Launch Numbers.app and open the file saved in 3).

Good luck,

H

Jul 7, 2015 8:00 AM in response to PGiacomo

PGiacomo wrote:

the app doesn't recognizes the commas as separators so it visualize all the values in the same cell.

What is the way to do recognize the commas as separators?

If, each time you do this, you don't want to mess with changing System Preferences and then changing them back, and instead want to accomplish the task with a click or two, then you can use this Text to Columns Automator Service (Dropbox download).

One-time installation: doubleclick the downloaded .workflow package and, if necessary, "Open Anyway" in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

Thereafter to use:

1. Select the cells in the column where the values are located that you need to split across columns.
  2. Choose Text to Columns from your Numbers > Services menu.
  3. Answer the prompts to choose a delimiter (separator).
  4. Click once in the top-left destination cell (I usually choose the top of the column immediately to the right of the selection).
  5. Command-v to paste.

That's it. This is similar to the 'Text to Columns' wizard in Excel.

SG

How to open CSV file with numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.