Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iMac, mfg date 2006 How do I access the bios settings to load from the DVD drive?

Over the weekend I tried to Install os x on to this machine It was giving me so much resistance to get to the disk utilities page, Finally I able to erase and format the HDD. It also allowed me to install the osx. So I though! After the restart a prompt appear stating three options to boot from. Not realizing that install had "not" completed successfully! As when I turn on the system all I get is the gray screen syndrome, with the Apple Logo and the lil spinning wheel. I understand that that prompt is a setting in the bios, how do i get to the bios settings to correct my bad choice? ( I choose to run start up from the fresh install. "HELP!!!"

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 20"/2.0 GHz/250 Gbs hard drive

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:01 AM

The short answer is you don't. I suspect you are using either the wrong DVD to upgrade (use a retail SL disc) not one from another computer. It is either that or you have a hardware failure. Please carefully read and follow all the steps in Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup. If it still will not start that confirms a hardware issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:01 AM in response to richardfromtulare

The short answer is you don't. I suspect you are using either the wrong DVD to upgrade (use a retail SL disc) not one from another computer. It is either that or you have a hardware failure. Please carefully read and follow all the steps in Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup. If it still will not start that confirms a hardware issue.

Jul 11, 2015 1:10 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87> wish to thank you for this rich information. Just one question sir, where can I find an SL disc?

My problem is since I don't have an OS running on this machine that in it self limits my option here.

I was trying to install OS X 10.6.1, not knowing this system would not work with this machine.

I purchased the iMac as a third party buyer, the unit w/ a key board, no mouse.

The above install disc will not eject. I came to find out that I need to purchase a "Power Mouse" apple brand.

To be able to get the disc to release.

Your saying this SL disc will allow me to rid myself of all these troubles and allow for a clean install?

rkaufmann87, I have since purchased (OS X install Disks 10.4.10) will this be helpful to my cause?

Also, I don't know what this screen means. I will describe to you for some insight to it's meaning.

On the gray screen, after using the install disc OS X 10.6.1, now this has only showed up three times.

I see what looks like an opened note book you can the plastic spine and at the center of each page

there are black dark squares that appear to be electronic components. Is this a hardware issue indicator?

Should I use an external DVD drive to load the new software?

Thank You for careful considerations and time.

I have an iMac, mfg date 2006 How do I access the bios settings to load from the DVD drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.