Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aspect Ratio Problems with iDVD

My FCP 10.2.1 project has 16:9 video from several different sources. As usual it exported fine and previews fine in iDVD 7.1.2

After it burns it previews fine in full screen within my computer and if I play it on my PS3 it is fine as well.

My concern is I have another DVD player that “postage stamps” the video. This same player plays other commercial DVD’s fine (filling screen)

I am worried that my PS3 and other players might be automatically “Filling Screen” Id like the video itself to just fill the screen by itself without the help of an “auto-fill” feature.

Does anybody out there know what Format/ Resolution I can set my project in FCPX to give me the truest 16:9 that iDVD can use?

Also, would exporting a FCPX video as Pro Res make the video look any better on an iDVD? I recognize that iDVD isn’t Blu-Ray, but I heard it was something called “HD-DVD? Is this true? Is it worth exporting in Pro-Res?

Thank you in advance.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 3.46GHz (5,1) 6 core (48G RAM 1333)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:07 AM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2015 12:34 PM in response to KidVid

iDVD was originally written durring a time where everything was SD and HD was just starting to emerge.

In those days everything was just 4:3 or 16:9. 480, 720 or 1080. Now there is hundreds of different interlace, progressive formats and resolutions.

Its my understanding that iDVD will accept all these funky formats and make a split decision. "Is this video 4:3 or 16:9"

Does anybody know the resolution iDVD likes for 16:9 videos the best?

Aspect Ratio Problems with iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.