Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal error in OSX Yosemite

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my iMac 27" to OSX Yosemite and updated all the app within.

Yesterday I tried to open the terminal andI got this error:

=====================================

Last login: Tue Jul 7 11:50:06 on console

login(1011,0x7fff7b175300) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fcb416011c0: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

[Process completed]

======================================

Can anyone know what's the problem, I don't want to reinstall the operating system once again, is there a tip how to fix it???

much appreciate your help

thanks

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 2:35 AM

5 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

OSX mavericks was working fine, terminal, updates and everything.

I upgraded to Yosemite and upgrade all needed apps and never tried the terminal until yesterday then this message keeps coming whenever i need to use terminal.

Is there a way to know what did this problem.

I even downloaded the latest update 10.10.4 but i couldn't run it, it says that i don't have ownership to run this update, and the terminal is not working.

do I need to uninstall the apps like backward so i figure out what happened or there us a way to fix this problem.

Jul 7, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Rabih Fawaz

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Terminal error in OSX Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.