Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad2 needs to be restored but won't charge

My iPad2's battery ran out during use in a normal way. When I went to plug it into the charger, it began flashing between the Apple logo and the dead battery symbol. After researching and trying hard reset, I determined it needed a restore so I put it in DFU mode. I left it alone plugged in for about an hour. It apparently charged just enough so I could get the restore started because it flashed the dead battery symbol just after the restore was beginning. I then plugged it into the charger again and now it shows the symbol asking to be plugged into iTunes. I left it for 8 hours and tried the restore again but now it apparently won't charge enough to do the restore. I can't get the symbol saying it needs to be plugged into iTunes to go away so maybe that's draining the battery as it's charging. Any ideas??

iPad 2, iOS 7

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:23 AM

7 replies

Jul 7, 2015 9:04 AM in response to hahnk35

Inspect the charging port area for dirt/debris/fluff build-up that may be preventing a good connection and use a wooden toothpick, soft clean toothbrush, or a can of compressed air to clean it. Also look for bent or broken pins. Try another cable and/or charger block (be sure to always use a genuine Apple certified brand) in a known good outlet. If you're using a USB port, they don't normally have enough power to charge an iPad, so go back to a wall outlet and leave it for a few hours. If all these fail, make an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar to have the device evaluated.

Jul 7, 2015 9:32 AM in response to AmishCake

Thanks for your reply. I think I've determined that as it's charging, the symbol asking for it to be plugged into iTunes is draining the battery as fast as it's charging. It rotates between that symbol and the dead battery symbol. I've tried to get the iTunes symbol not to come up by pressing a combination of different buttons, but it always comes back up after it charges enough. I'm using a tried and true Apple wall plug and the iPad has behaved completely normally (charging well, good battery life) until now. If I can get it to stop asking for iTunes, I truly believe it would charge and I'd be able to recover it.

Jul 7, 2015 11:50 AM in response to hahnk35

Try forcing it into DFU mode:

Turn your device off and connect your cable to the computer, but not the device just yet. Start up iTunes. Now, hold down the home button on your device and plug it in to the cable - don't let go of the button until iTunes tells you it's detected a device in recovery mode. Now you can restore to factory settings.

Jul 7, 2015 1:16 PM in response to AmishCake

I did try that and I think only the reason it's not working is the iPad battery is completely dead so iTunes won't even detect it. The reason I can't charge it seems to be due to the iPad draining itself while on the charger by indicating that it wants to be plugged into iTunes. So as soon as it gets charged a small amount, the symbol for plugging into iTunes comes up and then drains the battery. I've gotten it to begin the recovery process through iTunes from DFU mode, but it wasn't charged enough complete the process so the iPad battery died and iTunes couldn't detect it anymore. I'm thinking I need it to stop asking for iTunes so it can get a good charge. I really appreciate your efforts. Keep the ideas coming if you think of anything else.

iPad2 needs to be restored but won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.