Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ptpcamera process hog

I recently purchased a new iPhone 6. This morning, the phone was charging through the usb cable, and the Activity Monitor was registering CPU usage at over 100%. The main culprit was ptpcamera. I did not have iPhoto or image capture open. According to iTunes, there was a backup of my iPhone performed last night. I was wondering what could have caused the ptpcamera process to go haywire last night. Was it used in part of the backup process for my phone? I do have some videos on the phone that I haven't downloaded yet, and don't remember if the phone had been backed up since they were taken.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:01 AM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 4:23 AM in response to AntonyFromWatertown

There is your answer, videos,VIDEOS, are inherently terrible resource hogs. If there are videos on your phone there is your answer. These will not only take up your resources, they will also slow down the operation of your phone.

I would highly recommend you either transfer them to your computer or delete them if they are something you can't live without. If you are backing up your iPhone, I am not sure why you would do this unless you are trying to save your contacts, or something more important than that. Many of us have iPhones and no one I know backs up there iPhone. Maybe it is just me but that is a little confusing.

I hope this has helped you out, and Welcome to the Discussions.

Cheers and Good Luck

Don Morgan

ptpcamera process hog

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.