Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost access to my TC after hard drive replacement on my MAC.

The hard drive has been replaced on my iMac( late 2009) and when trying to restore data from my time capsule A1355, which is connected to a Virgin Media Super Hub via ethernet cable, I now have an amber status and message saying internal disc needs repair. I have a lot of data stored on my TC and afraid of losing precious photographs etc

OS upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.4

Is it possible to repair myself or do I need to get expert help?

Thank You

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 5:48 AM

What a lousy timing.. !!

What size is the drive? The samsung 1TB is more temperamental than the 2TB WD green.

When the hard drive was replaced on your iMac do you still have most of your files on that.. it should be returned to you with the computer.. that is one source.

How is the date stored on the TC? Did you copy it across and store it directly on the disk or just in TM backups.. The former are much easier to recover than the later..

Did you have files on the TC without backups??

You may be faced with a hefty cost .. but the first step is to cool down the TC for several hours.. leave it off.. when it boots up do you get a drive error??

If it boots and runs start copying those files off.. immediately .. don't stop.. you might have just a few minutes so pick quickly what you need.

If it doesn't work over ethernet try it by wireless. Or visa versa..

If it fails or even refuses to boot..

You will need to remove the hard disk. See https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Put the disk in standard 3.5" sata enclosure.. they are cheap as from online store.. ebay or major computer stores.

Plug it into the Mac via the USB and see if you can read it.

Tell me what you see.. there should be 3 partitions.. APconfig APswap and data (you might have renamed this).

Mostly people can see the two tiny config and swap but the main data is lost due to format / disk errors etc.

A software like Data Rescue can sometimes recover the files.. download the trial and give it a go..

Otherwise it has to go to a recovery centre and you will lighten your bank account of considerable sums.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 5:48 AM in response to KarenBen29

What a lousy timing.. !!

What size is the drive? The samsung 1TB is more temperamental than the 2TB WD green.

When the hard drive was replaced on your iMac do you still have most of your files on that.. it should be returned to you with the computer.. that is one source.

How is the date stored on the TC? Did you copy it across and store it directly on the disk or just in TM backups.. The former are much easier to recover than the later..

Did you have files on the TC without backups??

You may be faced with a hefty cost .. but the first step is to cool down the TC for several hours.. leave it off.. when it boots up do you get a drive error??

If it boots and runs start copying those files off.. immediately .. don't stop.. you might have just a few minutes so pick quickly what you need.

If it doesn't work over ethernet try it by wireless. Or visa versa..

If it fails or even refuses to boot..

You will need to remove the hard disk. See https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Put the disk in standard 3.5" sata enclosure.. they are cheap as from online store.. ebay or major computer stores.

Plug it into the Mac via the USB and see if you can read it.

Tell me what you see.. there should be 3 partitions.. APconfig APswap and data (you might have renamed this).

Mostly people can see the two tiny config and swap but the main data is lost due to format / disk errors etc.

A software like Data Rescue can sometimes recover the files.. download the trial and give it a go..

Otherwise it has to go to a recovery centre and you will lighten your bank account of considerable sums.

I have lost access to my TC after hard drive replacement on my MAC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.