Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many Airport Express units can be connected (via cable) to an Airport Extreme?

I am trying to use Airport Express for both Airplay usage as well as to extend WiFi. The Airplay Utility starts having problems the more I connect (currently 4). Should I disable wifi on some units as I configure them? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Airport Express-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:37 AM

The AirPort Extreme only has 3 Ethernet ;ports, so unless we are not understanding your information, or you have additional equipment that you have not mentioned, I'm not sure how you are able to connect more than 3 AirPort Express devices to the AirPort Extreme.

Can you provide more details about that?

In any case, when configuring multiple AirPorts, you would configure one at a time. In other words, only the AirPort Extreme and one AirPort Express should be powered up at any given time until all the AirPort Express devices have been setup.

Should I disable wifi on some units as I configure them?

Sorry, I am confused by your question. You should be using the setup "wizard" in AirPort Utility to configure the Express devices. The setup "wizard" will not have an option to disable wireless during the setup process.

As far as the number of AirPorts that could be connected to an AirPort Extreme......assuming that you have a number of Ethernet switches, the theoretical limit would be about 250 Express devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:37 AM in response to GWhite

The AirPort Extreme only has 3 Ethernet ;ports, so unless we are not understanding your information, or you have additional equipment that you have not mentioned, I'm not sure how you are able to connect more than 3 AirPort Express devices to the AirPort Extreme.

Can you provide more details about that?

In any case, when configuring multiple AirPorts, you would configure one at a time. In other words, only the AirPort Extreme and one AirPort Express should be powered up at any given time until all the AirPort Express devices have been setup.

Should I disable wifi on some units as I configure them?

Sorry, I am confused by your question. You should be using the setup "wizard" in AirPort Utility to configure the Express devices. The setup "wizard" will not have an option to disable wireless during the setup process.

As far as the number of AirPorts that could be connected to an AirPort Extreme......assuming that you have a number of Ethernet switches, the theoretical limit would be about 250 Express devices.

Jul 7, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your response. My question needs some clarification.

> Additional AirPort Express devices beyond two would be connected via a switch.

> Could they be "daisy chained" using the AirPort Express Ethernet out port?

>"Wifi" on an AirPort Express would be disabled after configuration so that it would only be used for AirPlay, not to extend the wireless network. It would be connected via Ethernet to the network.

Your suggestion about configuring one at a time is very good. The utility doesn't seem to work well when I connect more than two.

Jul 7, 2015 7:08 AM in response to GWhite

Additional AirPort Express devices beyond two would be connected via a switch.

OK, thanks for the clarification on that.

> Could they be "daisy chained" using the AirPort Express Ethernet out port?

In theory, yes.

But, this would not be recommended. Here is why.......imagine that you have 4 or 5 AirPort Express devices that are "daisy chained" together......and the first Express in the chain is having an Internet connection problem. If that happens, all the other Express devices in the chain will also have an Internet connection problem. If the second Express is having a problem, then all the Expresses behind that one will have a problem as well.

If each AirPort Express is wired back to the switch individually, one Express might have an issue, but the others will not be affected. As you might imagine, troubleshooting is far easier when....not if....you do have a problem.

>"Wifi" on an AirPort Express would be disabled after configuration so that it would only be used for AirPlay, not to extend the wireless network. It would be connected via Ethernet to the network.

If you don't really need the additional wireless coverage and stronger wireless signal throughout your house, you can go back in and turn off the wireless on any AirPort Express that you want.

I've yet to meet the first user who felt that they had too much wireless coverage or too strong of a wireless signal, throughout their house.....but it is your call on that.

How many Airport Express units can be connected (via cable) to an Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.