Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.8 Slow Server Access

Hi there,

Spent a while trying to diagnose this problem and I still can't understand it, the objective is to access and edit files from 10.5.8 Server using Clients 10.8.5 upwards. The server is only used for accessing files (basic function). Good to note this was working perfectly before...

The two main problems

- When browsing in finder it will take longer to load or not load at all as you down deeper into the file tree
- When editing a file using Excel (from the Client machine) from the server it will generally freeze up and end up with the spinning colour wheel (this will eventually disappear)

- Another note for the Excel problem is when accessing File > Open Recent > it will freeze here with the spinning colour wheel trying to load recently used files

The first thought was a faulty server hard drive which has been replaced twice (Seagate - I know this isn't the best make but I don't think this is the problem)

If I 'share screen' the Server I can open Excel files without any problems but this function can only be used by one person at a time as you are using the Server directly. This is where I start believing there is a Network problem as I have the same trouble accessing files over the network in the same way from just my Macbook but surely there would be a problem when accessing the 'Share Screen'.

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

PowerPC Server-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 8:09 AM

There are no replies.

10.5.8 Slow Server Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.