Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No CPU A Heatsink / Diode readout.

Dear All,

I recently upgraded my Mac by replacing the dual 2.66 (4 core) processors for some 3.06 (6 core) processors. I also upgraded the firmware allowing the 1333 mhz memory. The upgrade went well (after some initial problems) apart from the FAN in heatsink CPU A giving no read out in Macs Fan Utility. So I replaced the heatsink for CPU A and the fan is back working but I can't see any temperature readings for the heatsink or diode (on CPU A). I'm assuming this isn't normal but am not sure what to do. The fans also seem to be running at high speeds. See the attached picture. User uploaded file

Does any one have any clue what's going on.

Many thanks,

Damon

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Dual 2.66 (8 Core)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 7:07 AM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2015 8:46 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks for this. I read most of them ones related to the Mac Pro and Fans /Diodes already. I've also tried reapplying smaller amounts of thermal compound and have changed the thermal material which needs to between the logic board and the heatsink. To my eyes they're in good contact. I also read extensively before doing the upgrade. And watched a great youtube video by Lance McV.

I thought I'd try a Hardware test but I can't seem to get that going. I've tried rebooting holding D and option D but I don't get anything.

I feel slightly at a dead end.

😕

No CPU A Heatsink / Diode readout.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.