Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having intermittent problems with my iMac powering up. It acts "dead" but then I unplug it from the power source, plug it back in again, and it is fine. Is this an indication that my power cable is going bad?

What are the signs of a power cable going bad?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 7:49 AM

Reset the SMC and PRAM 2-3 times then retest. Power cables rarely go bad, so unless yours has had undue stress (like an animal eating it) then I would count out the power cord.

iMac SMC and PRAM reset

2 replies

Jul 7, 2015 12:36 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you! I think it worked, time will tell...Its odd, though, I had installed the latest software updates (finally) and had this issue almost immediately. My iPad was the same, after updating it, and I had to do the iTunes reboot thing. ...I also updated my iPhone, and it has been very slow loading websites ever since. Hence, this is why why I put off installing the updates.

I'm having intermittent problems with my iMac powering up. It acts "dead" but then I unplug it from the power source, plug it back in again, and it is fine. Is this an indication that my power cable is going bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.