Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My I-Phone 6 is lost... I know the usual drill but

I am pretty sure someone stole it. I did have the find my phone app on it. I believe the phone is turned off or dead because it says "offline" If someone stole it and they delete or erase the find my phone app off of it will it continue to stay "offline" or will it say something else. There is no other way to track it?

Sometimes when I track one of my other things it will tell me the last place it was at. I cant get this feature to work. I dont even know how I did it before but it would be helpful for me to know this.

Is there any other way to find it if it is off? I am assuming the theif can pretty much erase anything I have done to trace it right?

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 7:49 AM

7 replies

Jul 7, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Rhonda48236

If you had "Find My iPhone" enabled in Settings > iCloud then you may be able to locate it. If not, you cannot locate it.

If it was enabled then you can try locating it via http://icloud.com on a computer or the App "Find My iPhone" on another iDevice. You can also tell your iPhone to "Play Sound", enter "Lost Mode", or "Erase".

Note: this will only work if your device is connected to a network and the device hasn't already been restored as new and/or "Find My iPhone" has not been disabled on it. Note: Disabling "Find My iPhone" is much more difficult in iOS 7/8.

If you think that your device was stolen rather than lost then you should report it to the police. In either case you should contact your carrier, change your iTunes account password, your email account passwords, and any passwords that you'd stored on websites/emails/notes etc.

See also here for additional information: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5668

Jul 7, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Rhonda48236

The Find My iPhone App is irrelevant. If you turned on Find My iPhone in Settings->iCloud on the iPhone is what's important.

As that engages Activation Lock:

With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can:

• Turn off Find My iPhone on your device
  • Sign out of iCloud on your device
  • Erase and reactivate your device

iCloud: Activation Lock

If it has not been restored, it will need to connect to the internet either through cellular or Wifi, to send its location. Its last location is displayed for up to 24 hours. after that, the last location is no longer displayed.

iCloud: Locate your device

Jul 7, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Phil0124

This makes me feel a little better. I had it activated and used checked it often. At least it will be harder for someone to erase and use my phone. I have a message going on the screen with my phone number and reward but if they never turn it on or connect to internet before wiping it out they will never see it.

Just a vent....I know it is my responsibility to keep up with my phone but for $950 you would think Apple would have some kind of way to find the thing and keep others from erasing it and turning it on. In the future I am thinking of just getting a cheap *** Metro for $49 a month. You get the same results if you lose it so why bother...

Jul 7, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Rhonda48236

Rhonda48236 wrote:

Just a vent....I know it is my responsibility to keep up with my phone but for $950 you would think Apple would have some kind of way to find the thing and keep others from erasing it and turning it on. In the future I am thinking of just getting a cheap *** Metro for $49 a month. You get the same results if you lose it so why bother...

No one can erase it without your Apple ID and password. If you had set a screen lock passcode no one can use it. And you can find it when it is turned on. If the thief never turns it on it is no use to them. It's no use anyway, of course, with Activation Lock enabled. Just watch out for phishing scams. If you get a text or an email claiming to be from Apple, with a link to enter your Apple ID and password, don't do it. Even if it looks exactly like an Apple page.

My I-Phone 6 is lost... I know the usual drill but

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.