Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 iOS 8.3 Stuck booting on Apple Logo

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted here.

Today I was using my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.3, browsing Twitter. All of the sudden, the phone restarted on me. It has frozen and crashed before but this time it won't turn on. When I push the power button it just stays on the Apple logo until it turns off. And repeats on every power-button-push.

I have put the device in recovery mode and connected it to iTunes where it said "iPhone needs to be Updated or Restored". So I selected update where it then got to "Verifying updated iPhone software" (after Waiting for iPhone and extracting) and then gave me error 27. I then exited recovery mode and all I see is a white Apple Logo booting. No connect to iTunes message.

There has been no attempt to update the device, except for downloading iOS 8.4 OTA and not updating. I do not want to restore as my phone has not been backing up to iCloud or iTunes (separate issue), and I do not want to lose the data.

Can anyone help?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 9:23 AM

6 replies

Jul 19, 2015 6:11 PM in response to peter_a_g

I also have this same problem on my iPhone 5s iOS 8.3. It started this morning. The phone was fine for several hours and then suddenly became very very VERY sluggish (working, but extremely sluggish ... to the point where i waited like 10 seconds for the app switcher to open -- unfortunaly I wasnt expecting a detrimental problem so I wasnt paying too close attention to symptoms). I forced closed all the apps from the app switcher, and powered it off normally (just with the power button) and upon restarting, it now only displays the apple logo (for an abnormal length of time) and then shuts back off.

Only at the beginning stages of troubleshooting now, but any info will be handy. I know all of the methods of reset and restore, but want to try many other things before I get to that point. First order of business is to order a battery and pop the sucker apart to check for any dislodged connections, etc and put in the new battery while I'm in there (note, several months ago, i did put an after market battery in ... it wasnt really displaying any signs of problems, but they're cheap so I'll try it).

Jul 28, 2015 10:57 AM in response to ijf0

Ok so ...

I tried everything I knew how to do with the limited resources I had. I restarted the phone using all the button tricks (including volume up) ... nothing worked.

I even opened the sucker and inspected for damage (i keep it in a Nuud case, so I knew it wasnt water, but checked anyway). I disconnected the battery. Tried two other batteries I had (one of which i purchased as "new" -- but in all honesty, it didnt look new, and another which was the OEM original for that phone that i replaced back in March). I even tried with the battery out and powering the phone with the lightning cable. Nothing. Every time i got the same result of just the iPhone turning on to the white Apple logo and then shutting off after a few minutes.

I also tried forcing the iPhone into recovery mode and then restarting it. After that, it always wanted to return to recovery mode so I used a Windows software tool to return it to normal boot mode ... still no change.

I was able to force the iPhone into recovery mode and when I did, iTunes would prompt me to "upgrade" or "restore". I obviously tried upgrade first, but to no avail. The iPhone would respond to iTunes by restarting at the proper time, and then would display the update screen (white Apple logo with the progress bar underneath) but the progress bar would remain at 0% and the phone would hang there indefinitely. iTunes would eventually throw and error (error 24 or 27 or something related to a possible hardware fault).

As much as I didnt want to, I finally resorted to clicking on the restore button. Restore took 4-5 hours, but it did the trick. Phone is back and working now ... though I'm leery of it still. Was it a hardware problem that caused me to get into this situation in the first place? Is my phone somehow weaker now? Could it happen again at any time??? Gosh. Who knows? Perhaps when I initially noticed it was slow, the OS was in the middle of a critical task and restarting the phone corrupt something. I'm not sure I'll ever know. Even when I called Apple Tech Support, they showed no indication of caring or even hearing about the issue and kept offering to take my money for a tech support call even after the operator told me it was probably just easier to replace. Really? Thats the game now? Sigh. I digress ...

¡¡¡LOOK!!! Anyway. Here's my biggest takeaway: I was always under the assumption that doing a "Sync" to iTunes automatically included a backup. This appears not to be the case. I backup sync my phone regularly. iTunes gave me clues that indicated my last backup?/sync? had occurred in late June. This could be confirmed by actually navigating to the backup folder location on my PC and seeing that yes ... some files were as recent as late June. Perfect. HOWEVER, when the restore started, all of the sudden I was informed that my last backup was from March. This appears to be more the case, as when the restore completed, everything was back to March. This isnt a HUGE deal, as I'm somewhat happy to have the phone working at all, but it is still a nuisance. After a lot of research on the web, I've found that many people believe a sync automatically includes a backup, however a few others have confirmed that, in fact, it does not. Only occasionally (not sure of the time/event/logical trigger) does a sync actually perform a full backup. Lesson learned. You must manually click the backup button in iTunes. Arg.

Good luck to everyone.

-ijf

iPhone 5 iOS 8.3 Stuck booting on Apple Logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.