Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD movies don't play since iTunes update (12.2.0.145)

While I was able to play my movies in iTunes before, since the update, my computer (MacBook Pro Late 2011) freezes. I try using force quit, which takes about 15 seconds to bring up the Force Quit window, but the screen is frozen so I can't click on the 'force quit' button. (So I hit <enter>) Eventually (10-15 seconds) iTunes shuts down and my mac unfreezes.

I looked at some previous fixes (Holding Option, Cmd, R, P while restarting computer; Preferred Video option: 1080p (High Definition) in iTunes preferences

"When downloading High Definition Videos, prefer: 1080p (High Def)" in Store Preferences; Resetting iTunes Cache (which seemed to do nothing) and restarting iTunes) - none of which helped.

Anyone else having this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), (13 inch, Late Fall 2011)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 9:38 AM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2015 6:38 AM in response to M Beck

Hello M Beck,
Not sure what happened there with why my reply came up blank, but on to your issue. So I understand that you are having issues with iTunes freezing on you are viewing movies on iTunes and it also sounds like that it is taking some time to close out when you Force Quit.
To start troubleshooting this, I would start with looking at Activity Monitor to see if there are any issues with other apps or a process that could be causing the slowness. Take a look at the first article to go over Activity Monitor and if you are unfamiliar with using it.
Another option if you have not resolved the issue is to reinstall iTunes. Click on the second link to download iTunes and then run the installer like you would any other app that you would like to install.

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Download iTunes
https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Take care

Jul 13, 2015 9:25 AM in response to M Beck

For future reference you would have been looking for processes that were taking up large % of CPU that might have been competing with iTunes for CPU required when watching video. I know there are certain tasks which when I run them on my computer I cannot have other tasks running at the same time because there is too much competition for resources.

HD movies don't play since iTunes update (12.2.0.145)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.