Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store not working

Since I have cancelled the software update yesterday, my app store is not working. My laptop is unable to shut down and it hangs with other apps. If I try to open Application to update the software now, it shows blank page. What to do?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 11:21 AM

13 replies

Jul 8, 2015 10:51 PM in response to Inderpreet20

I had this exact same problem and solved it by doing the following:

1) Open terminal ( you can do this using command + space and typing terminal into the spotlight search)

2) run the following command:

sudo mv /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Updates /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Updates_bk

This creates a backup of your Updates directory which contains a corrupted file and breaks your app store. Since the app store can no longer find the Updates directory it is forced to create a new clean one. You could also just remove the directory but it's better to keep a backup in my opinion.

3) restart computer

Hope this helps!

Jul 10, 2015 8:29 AM in response to jcrowe206

Thanks for your suggestion.. But I called Apple support and they guided me to solve the issue. I ll tell you the steps I followed:

Start the laptop and press SHIFT key, hold it until you see the apple logo. Your laptop will start in safe mode. It will be bit slow but that's ok. Now open the app store and download the software.

In my laptop there was some 3rd party app/software which was creating the problem and freezing the app store. By updating the software in the safe mode helped to resolve the issue in my case. Moreover, I was having iMovie update which was creating the problem. So they asked to delete it, as I was not using it.

Hope that helps

App store not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.