Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

… wants to use the "login" keychain.

Every time that I start up or restart my iMac, after I have entered my system admin password, a new login box appears which states that one of several applications wants to use the "login" keychain. These apps include CalendarAgent, iCloudHelper, Messages Agent, CallHistoryPluginHelper, and idmsa.apple.com.

I can dismiss the second password box but then immediately, a new box appears with another of these various apps requesting the same thing. Interestingly, I discovered that I can do screenshots of the 2nd login box. An example is shown below.User uploaded file

I've poked around the Keychain preferences and not found anything which suggested a solution. I've booked a Genius Bar appointment for Friday the 10th but maybe someone already knows the solution.

My wife's MacBook Pro does not do this. It must be something in some preferences or something needs to be reinstalled. But what?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 27"

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:38 AM

4 replies

Jul 7, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Gil Woolley

Back up all data before proceeding.

Double-click the line below on this page to select it:

com.apple.scopedbookmarksagent.xpc

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Click in the search field in the upper right corner of the Keychain Access window and press command-V to paste the text you copied earlier. A password item with the above name should appear in the window. Press delete and confirm when prompted. Quit Keychain Access and see whether the prompts have stopped.

Credit for this observation to ASC member bad_friday.

Jul 7, 2015 5:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the procedure. Unfortunately, it did not work. I think that I followed it exactly. I did it twice to be sure. Here is the latest screenshot

User uploaded file

This was followed by a request by Safari as well.

User uploaded file

Is it possible that I have to follow similar procedures for each of the apps which are requesting a password. In my original question, I listed several different apps which have requested a password. CalendarAgent, iCloudHelper, Messages Agent, CallHistoryPluginHelper, and idmsa.apple.com

This is a 27" iMac. I would hate to have to disconnect it and schlep it over to the Genius Bar.

Is there a modification to your recommended procedure for each of these?

Jul 7, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Gil Woolley

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select

Change Settings for Keychain "login"

In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences... First Aid

There are four checkboxes in the window that opens. Check all of them. if they're not already checked. Close the window.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

If you use iCloud Keychain, open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

Jul 7, 2015 8:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Thank you very much. I did everything except the iCloud Keychain and the problem has disappeared. I can't recall whether I'm using iCloud but at least for now the problem has gone. I might later discover that I'm using iCloud and will have to revisit this email from my archive.

I have no idea how you know all this stuff but it did work.

Gil

… wants to use the "login" keychain.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.