Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro is Breaking My iPod Classic!! iPod 160 Gig Classic Crashes Into Disk Mode After Restoring and Syncing

Whenever I connect my 160gig iPod Classic, I keep getting this error in iTunes: "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

I have about 4 or 5 iPod 160 gig Classics and am running the latest version of iTunes on my brand new Mac Pro, purchased one month ago. Prior to this, my iPods had only ever been connected to a PC, which died recently when lightning struck my house. I purchased all new Apple equipment, including a Mac Pro. When I connect my iPod 160 Gig Classic to sync, iTunes gives me a pop-up window which reads "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes." I tried restoring it many, many times, and I get the same end result and pop-up. The iPod's power somehow appears to reset, and the iPod goes into disk mode, where it gets stuck.

I tried troubleshooting this incident with Evan at Tier 2 Apple Support. Evan told me to delete/remove some of my .wav file formatted songs out of my iTunes library and try re-syncing. That failed. Upon ejecting properly, the iPod powered down, reset, and went into disk mode again. I did try by removing all .wav extension files from my music library. There were only 20 or 30 tracks. This made no difference and my iPod (160 gig) classic failed after ejecting/disconnecting, and went into disk mode and is now stuck there.

I called Tier 2 support back after Evan left at the end of his shift. I spoke to someone else, who made me perform the same steps (to restore, re-sync, and eject to disconnect) and in the process, broke two more classic iPods. The sad thing is - all of my (160 gig iPod Classics) had been working without a single internal malfunction issue since I'd bought them in 2011. Now, four out of five iPods are all stuck in disk mode. I've never had a problem with my iPod Classics before this, they ran perfectly.

There has had to be other users who've had a similar thing happen.

Can an someone please suggest a fix (other than restoring/re-syncing/ejecting)???

Thanks.

My Mac Pro Configuration:

• Processor: 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • Memory: 32GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC - 4X8GB
  • Startup Disk: 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
  • Graphics: Dual AMD FirePro D500-3GB VRAM
  • OS X: Yosemite: version 10.10.4

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:06 AM

8 replies

Mac Pro is Breaking My iPod Classic!! iPod 160 Gig Classic Crashes Into Disk Mode After Restoring and Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.