Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.4 from 10.10.3

The automatic App Store upgrade 'failed' because the download was corrupt, and there was a message to download it and install it again. When I try to do this I go round in circles. I will try to upload the messages I get in that order.

1. My App Store Update Page shows Yosemite 10.10.4 as being available, with an Update button visible.
  2. When I click the Update button I get a message that says Some updates need to finish downloading before they are installed. Your computer will restart to complete the updates.
  3. When I click the Download & Restart button, I get another message which says Restarting Your Computer. Your computer will restart in xx seconds to install updates. There are two button - Restart and Later.
  4. When I click the restart button (or leave it until the timer goes down to zero) I get another message. Available updates have changed. Click 'Show details' to see the available updates. If I click Show Details, the whole process stops without any further action. If I click Cancel, the whole process is cancelled.
  5. I then start again and repeat steps 1 to 4 above, then again and again - going around in circles.
  6. In the App Store updates, under Updates Installed in the last 30 Days is OS X Update version 10.10.4. Installed Jul 7, 2015. This same information is repeated 7 times (the number of times I have retried). But when I go to System Preferences my OS X is shown as 10.10.3.

I am going mad trying to find a solution. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. I run OS X on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Neil Campbell

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:47 AM

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.4 on an iMac. Yesterday, I discovered that I couldn't open iTunes. I rebooted and still had the problem. Today I discovered that not only can I not open iTunes but I also cannot open Safari or the App Store. I'd like to restore Yosemite 10.10.3 but will have to research how to do this. I've never had major problems like this before with any Apple product! 😕

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 10:47 AM in response to neilcamp

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.4 on an iMac. Yesterday, I discovered that I couldn't open iTunes. I rebooted and still had the problem. Today I discovered that not only can I not open iTunes but I also cannot open Safari or the App Store. I'd like to restore Yosemite 10.10.3 but will have to research how to do this. I've never had major problems like this before with any Apple product! 😕

Jul 7, 2015 12:29 PM in response to neilcamp

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files used by system processes. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders/zz

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a subfolder named "zz" selected. Move that subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 11, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Linc Davis

I had the exact same problem, and this solved the ridiculous loop that the update was stuck in. "needs to finish downloading... needs to restart... updates have changed (or whatever) ..."

Thanks much for that tip about deleting "zz"

I have to say, that's pretty strange that we have to find this completely bizarrely titled folder and delete it... I wonder about the 100,000 people that won't motivate to find this answer... would this update go through eventually on its own? How many people got this bug?

Apr 18, 2016 10:50 PM in response to neilcamp

Hi Neil,

I have the same problem. I tried deleting the "zz" folder and restarted afterwards, but it seemed the problem is not yet solved. I still got the notification about the corrupted files and try re-download the updates bla bla bla.

I have Macbook Pro 13-inch Mid 2012, with OSX 10.9.5

Does anyone know how to solve this? I will really appreciate your help.

I can't upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.4 from 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.