Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash is Disabled - The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash

I've had my iPhone 6 for a little over a month. Yesterday I updated to iOS8.4 and today, for the first time, I noticed the above message when I was taking a photo. I didn't need to use the flash but I'm concerned about the message because the iPhone was cool to the touch and I'd only taken two photos with it today.

I Googled the error message and saw various suggestions as to what causes the iPhone to overheat, however, none of these applied to my phone and, as I said, it certainly didn't feel hot.

Also, I've been inside most of the day and the temperature inside is 25 degrees Celsius. I've taken off the Apple protective silicon cover for the iPhone but I don't really believe that Apple would sell a case that would cause the phone to overheat. The triangle with the exclamation mark is still showing when I go to the Camera app. and it has now been there for a couple of hours.

It's just after 8pm here now. Obviously, I won't be using the phone at all overnight. If the message is still showing in the morning should I assume that this is a fault with the hardware/iOS and take the phone back to Apple?

Any suggestions as to how I can test the 'real temperature' of the iPhone 6 would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tricia

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, 64GB

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2017 6:25 PM

I have been having this same issue(iPhone needs to cool down to use flash, and couldn't use my back camera,flashlight and weak wifi) for over a month ago and even after surfing online for the solution and trying them(changing battery, hard reset including all the solutions here) nothing worked. Yesterday while checking up fixes on YouTube I saw a recent video on how to fix this issue and it actually worked for me. Hope it works for others too.. video link:

https://youtu.be/lQbAd8Ws5Ek

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2017 6:25 PM in response to Patricia Henwood

I have been having this same issue(iPhone needs to cool down to use flash, and couldn't use my back camera,flashlight and weak wifi) for over a month ago and even after surfing online for the solution and trying them(changing battery, hard reset including all the solutions here) nothing worked. Yesterday while checking up fixes on YouTube I saw a recent video on how to fix this issue and it actually worked for me. Hope it works for others too.. video link:

May 28, 2017 6:28 PM in response to Mkhakhan

May 28, 2017 6:30 PM in response to Muhammed mahdi

Sep 6, 2016 6:06 PM in response to Patricia Henwood

I too have this problem each time an os update happens, then after sometime the flash and front camera works. But since June 2016,since 9.3 update, both are not working at all. I took it to Apple service center in India, I bought the phone from USA, he said the flash is damaged and since I bought it from USA they cannot do anything, I will have to buy a new phone or repair it for a very expensive about. Why, what did I do? Should not the apple company be sued if they cannot fix the problem caused by their updates? What is the solution?

Flash is Disabled - The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.