Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad 3rd Generation keeps crashing, freezing, overheating, and restarting.

I've had this iPad for 3 years and it's been defective for at least 2. The first problem I've had was the speakers not working after my freshman year (headphones work only for a little bit). The iPad is from my high school, and the insurance only covered my freshman year (I never learned how to get insurance for the next years, I don't think anyone did.).

It's been having a few problems. It overheats then restarts. This is a constant thing. Every time I pick it up to play a game (For example, Clash of Clans) it either randomly shuts down and restarts or it freezes for a few minutes before restarting. It gets very hot within a short amount of time, so, I originally thought it was caused by overheating; but I just tried it out after not touching it all night and sure enough it crashed. I can only use it for about 5 minutes at most before it crashes and restarts, then if I try using it again after restarting it just happens again sooner. I've also had some problems with glitches. It happens rarely, but it's still irritating. I took this picture while it was frozen:

User uploaded file

It's currently summer vacation and the iPad is just getting worse. I want it to at least be useful for school, but with all this crashing I can't see how. I can't restore it because it's owned by the school and has the school's profiles on it. If I delete them I could get into a lot of trouble. I'd have to wait until the end of next year when I buy it. I really want to keep this device. It's fully updated, but the problems are still there. If anyone could help that would be great .🙂

iPad, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 11:03 AM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2015 8:57 AM in response to ShySilver

Hi there ShySliver,

It sounds like your iPad has a variety of issues happening with it. I would start by quitting all the running apps on the device:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting
If the issue persists, the next best thing to do would in fact be to backup the iPad and restore it but I know thats not really an option for you.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Jul 9, 2015 6:49 PM in response to ShySilver

I Know this may sounds a lot but I would try to take it to the nearest Apple Store and ask for a replacement or to fix these issues if you have warranty I would suggest doing that or insurance but if you don't you'll have to pay for the reparing costs otherwise this iPad has had enough in my opinion so I'd suggest buying a new iPad there's even used if you don't want to spend that much. Hope this helped 🙂

My iPad 3rd Generation keeps crashing, freezing, overheating, and restarting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.