Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5s stops music when I plug headphones in

Specs: iPhone 5s, 64 GB, iOS 8.4.

I am using the standard apple earbuds that came with the phone

When I have my headphones plugged in, and I start playing a song, the song appears to start playing, and then stops. I hear no sound at all in the headphones. The display changes from the play arrow to the pause bars. If I click the pause bars, the play arrow appears, and then after a few second the pause bars come back. I don't get any sound at, whether the song is on play or pause.

If I remove the headphones and start playing a song, the song plays normally from the phone's speakers. Pause and play work normally.

The same thing happens when I try to play a podcast.

If I start an app that has music, the music plays normally from the speakers. If I plug the headphones in, the music stops and the phone seems to respond more slowly to touch. When I remove the headphones, the music does not start. If I close the app and re-open it, the music plays again.

Things I tried:

* Removing the headphones and re-inserting them (several times)

* Spraying the headphone jack with compressed air and then re-inserting the headphones

* Using a different set of headphones

* Googling many different versions of this question

Things that have changed on the phone in the past couple of days:

* Downloaded and installed the latest iOS update

* Installed The Walk app

The phone appears to be functioning normally except for this. I'm pretty sure this isn't the "headphones mode" problem that's coming up frequently in Google search results. Any ideas?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:03 PM

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Llama2015

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

iphone 5s stops music when I plug headphones in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.