Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Music Files: Finding them

Between changing Macs, Changing OSX and adding hardrives, my Itunes Library is a mess and I have many songs that ITunes can no longer find.

Is there a utility within ITunes or 3rd party that goes thru your computer to find any applicable music files and and "Find Them" for ITunes?

When ITunes asks me to find files, it looks like I have to physically point it in the right direction to look rather than it automatically combing thru all hardrives/files on it's own.

If I knew where to look, they wouldn't be lost anymore!!!

Running OSX 10.10.4 and the latest ITunes.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 20 Gig Ram, 3.5 GigHD's Bluetooth/A

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 11:43 AM

It has been years since I installed a new iTunes. I may be wrong but I believe the newer versions will offer to search your drive for candidate files for adding to iTunes if you start with a brand new library. Of course this means starting all your playlists and ratings etc. from nothing. You can create or change between libraries by holding down the option/alt key while starting iTunes.

You can look on the web for utilities for which you will have to likely pay for ones that might do this kind of search for an existing library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 11:43 AM in response to drshame

It has been years since I installed a new iTunes. I may be wrong but I believe the newer versions will offer to search your drive for candidate files for adding to iTunes if you start with a brand new library. Of course this means starting all your playlists and ratings etc. from nothing. You can create or change between libraries by holding down the option/alt key while starting iTunes.

You can look on the web for utilities for which you will have to likely pay for ones that might do this kind of search for an existing library.

Lost Music Files: Finding them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.