Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone prompting for iTunes after water damage

iPhone is prompting for iTunes plug in after dropping in water. I plug it in, and it asks either 'update' or 'restore to factory settings'. Neither of those are working; an error 2001 keeps popping up. Can I fix this or do I have to get a new phone?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 2:10 PM

You probably need a new phone, especially if you turned it on before it fully dried out.

4 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:12 PM in response to SullyEF

If the device has been water damaged, the last thing you want to do is power it up, unless this water damage was last month or so. Either way, water will ruin the phone. See this support document about error codes. Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support And the iTunes prompt is the phone showing it in Recovery Mode.

However, I would get ready to replace the device. With water, the question is not if it will fail, but when. Get it taken care of as soon as possible, while you still have the ability to create a backup.

iPhone prompting for iTunes after water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.