Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" Retina Display Nightmare!

Hello

I have a current repair being carried out by Apple based at Liverpool One's store in the UK, I have just been told by an Apple representative at Apple Liverpool One that the repair of my MacBook Pro will cost me £525 in total to replace the MacBook Pro's LCD Retina Screen because upon initial inspection they diagnosed the MacBook Pro and they seem to think the fault is due to the LCD's Retina Screen!, all of this comes as a total surprise to me because i had the exact symptoms listed in the extended video program which are "Distorted Video" "Random Resets" "No video" (or external video), i had all these many months before the Retina Screen went black and i did not know during about the video exchange program at this time! the only way I could fix the problem was by letting the MacBook Pro cool down by switching it off for half an hour and by blowing as i hard as I could at the rear of mac where the air vents are positioned! this procedure went on and on for months way before the Retina Screen failed, so when the Retina Screen did fail and go black i tried everything to receive an external signal and nothing this is when i had the MacBook Pro in my possession, I received nothing at all time and time again! a big surprise to me though suddenly to my amazement i did receive external video signal on the day i was taking the MacBook Pro back down to Apple at Liverpool One! i have no idea why the external video suddenly just appeared like that after 3 days! so when i arrived at the Apple Store they tested the external display and it worked off-course!, this now has become the worst possible news for me! because now I'm now told the problem does not actually exist with the GPU Video or the Logic Board the problem is actually the LCD's Retina Display which is now looks likely the fault!, and again this is the worst possible outcome for me as i just can't afford to pay for this at this moment due to various reasons which where unforeseen! funeral etc, and just like this unforeseen issue which has arisen with my MacBook Pro!, I simply just don't see how a Retina Screen could out of the blue just like that become faulty! Also i have done some research and read that the iSight camera is actually a part of the Retina's Display and that it would fail to work if the Retina's display was at fault, so i immediately tested the iSight camera by remotely logging into the Mac using RDP on another laptop and strangely enough the iSight camera worked fine!, another very strange issue is when the Retina Screen failed the keyboard backlight also stopped working and the fans stopped spinning, all that was happening was I could hear the chime sound when I repeatedly switched the mac on and off time and time again! then i left the Mac to one side and took a break!, then all by itself after exactly 1hour the keyboard backlight lit up and I could hear the fans spinning again! but still no video on the Retina screen or video on the external display! so i then with my other laptop went to http://www.apple.com and located the support section and found a topic for the problem i was having, i read about the various methods and startup keys that can cause this issue like resetting PRAM and SRAM i straight away tried pressing these combination keys over and over again but still nothing on the screen or external video! so back to the Apple Store at Liverpool One they said it is not confirmed that the Retina is at fault we will have to do our VST test and see what the outcome results are! so that's how it was left until i received a phone call 2Days later from Apple confirming that it was the Retina's display, I was hoping so much it would have been the GPU or the Logic board because apparently these repairs or replacements are covered under the repair extension program, so now at this point I'm so unhappy because I knew I simply can not afford this at the moment!, and especially when i had every single symptom that is described in your free repair program, to ask me to pay £525 something is wrong!, I'm still not convinced the Retina display could go faulty, it looks like it's receiving no power at all to the screen because the Apple logo positioned at the top of Mac is not lit-up! why would the LED backlight and the LCD pixels on the screen both fail at the same time for no reason what so ever!, i just wish the external display never came back on after 3Days because i would have been covered with your special repair warranty!, this is just so annoying and more to the point if i have to find the money in the next few weeks or months to replace the Retina screen the problems i have been having which i explained throughly above are going to still exists "graphic corruption" "random resets" and eventually no video and the process repeats it self! I'm completely not happy about this situation because I'm convinced something inside the MacBook Pro caused the whole computer to shut down as well as damaging the Retina's display so this could very easily could happen again!, the truth is i would even pay the money for repair if I had it because i just want my MacBook Pro fixed so badly because I love it but honestly i simply don't have the money right now, and I was so happy when i read the article about your video extension program! I felt relieved but to be told no your wrong your not covered is devastating news! when i still think I should be! i just think I'm being treated unfairly and I'm asking you or Apple to look at this from my point of view and honour the repair for all the reasons I have mentioned above! There's nothing more i can say on this issue, i have tried everything and every avenue to fix my MacBook Pro, all i am left with is explaining in detail the exact events which happened to me as i am the owner who has seen the issue's have been having on my MacBook Pro on a daily basis for the last year and half!

Also because I want my MacBook Pro fixed so much i even offered to pay £100 a month but Apple don't have this type of payable system in place which is so disappointing, the next idea was that maybe i was covered under the uk's law consuming warranty act!, then a double blow as i was then told by Apple the MacBook Pro was purchased in China and not the UK which means the MacBook Pro can not be covered! as i purchased the Mac from eBay! unbelievable bad luck again! anyway i am at a stage where i am completely stuck and have no other options or avenues to turn to other than plead with you or Apple to honour the repair and not to leave me for months without a MaxBook Pro.

any suggestions or ideas of what i could do next would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:19 PM

There are no replies.

15" Retina Display Nightmare!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.