Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using GarageBand for iPad, I can't open file created on GB for iMac

Trying to edit a GarageBand project on my iPad first created on my iMac, I get this message: "Cannot Open Song: This song was created with GarageBand for Mac. Please elect a song created with GarageBand for iOS."

What's difference between Mac and iOS?? Shouldn't I be able to easily transfer/import files between the two GarageBands? While I can SEE the file in the "import song" function on my iPad, I get the error message and the file won't open.

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 1:28 PM

It is not possible to open GarageBand for Mac projects on the iPad. You can transfer GarageBand for iOS files from the iPad to your Mac and open them on the Mac and finish the project on the Mac. Or transfer them to the Mac as a backup and transfer them back to the iPad, unchanged.

But as soon as you open an iPad project on your Mac, the format will be converted and the iAd can no longer open it.

GarageBand on your Mac can simulate the instruments you are having on the iPad, but the iPad version cannot simulate all Mac instruments and automations. It is more limited.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 1:28 PM in response to peikspeak

It is not possible to open GarageBand for Mac projects on the iPad. You can transfer GarageBand for iOS files from the iPad to your Mac and open them on the Mac and finish the project on the Mac. Or transfer them to the Mac as a backup and transfer them back to the iPad, unchanged.

But as soon as you open an iPad project on your Mac, the format will be converted and the iAd can no longer open it.

GarageBand on your Mac can simulate the instruments you are having on the iPad, but the iPad version cannot simulate all Mac instruments and automations. It is more limited.

Jul 7, 2015 1:53 PM in response to peikspeak

The iPad does not have the computational power that a Mac has, less storage and a more limited processor. So the iPad would not be able to emulate a Mac.

But if you only are using the vocal effects, you could share your GarageBAnd for Mac song as an audio file to iTunes, sync it to the Music.app on the iPad, and then open this audio file in GarageBand on your iPad using the Loop Browser.

Then you could add to it on your iPad.

Using GarageBand for iPad, I can't open file created on GB for iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.