Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two GMail Accounts work on iPad and Mini, not iPhone

I'm trying to configure my second GMail account on iPhone but it fails. It works on iPad Air and Mac Mini. Here are the details:

I have two GMail accounts. One is personal, the other is from a University (Google Apps for Education)

I have a Mac Mini (2014) running OS X 10.10.4: I can add both accounts.

I have an iPad Air running iOS 8.,4; I can add both accounts.

I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8.4; I can only add one GMail account. When I try to add the second GMail account in Settings / Mail ... / Add Account / Google, I am asked to confirm "iOS would like to: (yada yada), but when I accept, I get a pop-up message that my Gmail account as already been added to your iPhone. I click OK; then check everywhere, and the account has NOT been added to the iPhone.

Same steps on iPad and iPhone, but it only works on iPad. Also, since I am not fond of the GMail app for iPhone,I don't want to use that. So why does it work on Mac Mini and iPad, but not on iPhone? I would also prefer to use the Google account configuration rather than the "Other" account configuration. I would prefer to solution rather than a workaround. Any ideas?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4, GMail

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 11:27 AM

Hey there joebinis,

It sounds like you are unable to add a second, different Gmail account on your iPhone. I would quit the Settings app first:

Force an app to close in iOS
1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2015 11:27 AM in response to joebinis

Hey there joebinis,

It sounds like you are unable to add a second, different Gmail account on your iPhone. I would quit the Settings app first:

Force an app to close in iOS
1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Two GMail Accounts work on iPad and Mini, not iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.