Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Really weird hardware experience with Macbook Pro Retina 13" late 2013

Just happened a few minutes ago, I realized my computer was getting hotter and hotter every second (base temperature hit 57 C before I restarted the darn thing), and the fan was just NOT kicking in. It stayed at a relative 1800 rpm and did not increase to save the CPU. I also heard a light, constant crackling sound somewhere near the magsafe 2 port... Thought it was the CPU, but the CPU is more centered on the laptop - seemed like the sound was coming from the SSD.

Would anyone be willing to speculate what might have happened here? Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 1:32 PM

4 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:55 PM in response to YGSky

57 degrees Celsius is not very hot for a laptop. In fact, it is quite cool. This operating temperature is well within apple's specified operating temperatures for MacBook Pros. You have no heat issue to worry about. On the other hand, that crackling sound worries me. I agree with Carolyn Samit, and you should take your Mac into apple and show this crackling sound to them.

Jul 7, 2015 3:49 PM in response to YGSky

Thank you for your replies. Thankfully, after a restart the computer returned to normal...

The crackling sound did not sound like electricity. In fact, it sounded as if the fan was in that spot and turning at a very low rpm, but some small obstruction was causing the fan to spin improperly and in an unbalanced fashion causing the blades to lightly make contact with the sides of its container randomly. That kind of sound (haha this sounds very specific, I know). But my point is, I can tell it was not the sound of free electricity sparking or anything. It just felt like I could almost "hear" the CPU working... I am guessing the sound is coming from the SSD.

If I am able to recreate the problem again I will visit the Apple store, but I will hold off for now.

Really weird hardware experience with Macbook Pro Retina 13" late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.