Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ID3 Track Name longer than 28 characters resets to empty

When I try to bounce a project to an MP3 as a podcast, I'm putting in the title which is 29 characters. When I press Enter, the track name resets to empty. If I make it 28 character, it works. Several tests prove that a title over 28 characters resets the title. Known bug?

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:40 PM

The ID3v1 (The version implemented in Logic) specs limit the number of Chars in any field to a max of 30... To take into account hidden or non standard Chars i understand Apple limits it to 28 instead.... which some other Mac apps seem to do too....

WinAmp and a couple of other Windows based MP3 apps over-rode by means of a programming 'trick' that limit but it often caused incompatibility with other playback apps in the process....

The newer ID3v2 upped the limit to 80 Chars per field..... but this is not supported in Logic. (and a few other apps..).. again for compatibility reasons one assumes....

So, not a bug as such but a design decision....

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 4:40 PM in response to Michael Gaines

The ID3v1 (The version implemented in Logic) specs limit the number of Chars in any field to a max of 30... To take into account hidden or non standard Chars i understand Apple limits it to 28 instead.... which some other Mac apps seem to do too....

WinAmp and a couple of other Windows based MP3 apps over-rode by means of a programming 'trick' that limit but it often caused incompatibility with other playback apps in the process....

The newer ID3v2 upped the limit to 80 Chars per field..... but this is not supported in Logic. (and a few other apps..).. again for compatibility reasons one assumes....

So, not a bug as such but a design decision....

Jul 7, 2015 6:46 PM in response to Michael Gaines

I certainly do agree with you.. But then the Dev teams for Logic and iTunes are completely seperate and have their own criteria and aims for their own projects....

it could be, for example that iD3v2 implementation breaks something in Logic that is more important to the team at this stage to keep up and running.....

Or...

It could just be.. As they are a relatively small Dev team... Compared to the Dev team for OS X and iTunes.... they are prioritizing things in a different order and they are currently focused on more important ( in their judgement) elements such as the new Alchemy plugin and ID3v2 will arrive in a later update.....

who knows.... 🙂

Also, GarageBand supports v2. I'm just baffled why a "Pro" product is using ancient tags.

I must admit, I didn't realize that GB had v2 already implemented.... Was that a recent change?

I ask because GB just got the Alchemy update too.. ahead of LPX.... and Im wondering if resources are being pushed into GB first with LPX coming up behind at this time.....

Jul 8, 2015 11:52 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

After a long discussion elsewhere, Im going to withdraw my comments about this being a 'design decision' and instead support the idea that it is in fact, a bug......

It seems ID3v2 was implemented and was working correctly in LPX10.0.1 but since then... its failed to work with fields 29 Chars or greater in length..

Of course it could mean they reverted back to v1.. for some unknown reason.. but based on the discussions I just had 'elsewhere' I believe that is probably not the case and in fact it is a buggy implementation of v2....

Therefore, I have reported it as a possible bug via the Dev Bug reporting system as well as the user feedback form....... in the hope it will be fixed asap.

Sorry for any confusion caused....

Cheers..

Nigel

ID3 Track Name longer than 28 characters resets to empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.