Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freezes and Odd Behaviors

Lets get the machine profile out of the way . . .

MacBook Pro

15-inch, Late 2008

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

my early 2008 Macbook Pro running Lion has really slowed down, Ive tried several of the know fixes w/o help, so I saw on this forum that I could run a command in Terminal that might help identify the issue. I ran:

syslog -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'Channel t|GPU D|I/O|n Cause: -' | tail | open -ef

. . .and got the following response:

Jul 1 17:33:09 TusMacBookPro kernel[0] <Debug>: Previous Shutdown Cause: -60

Anyone know what a "-60" means?

PS: Upon trying to enter this description in the forum, when I used Safari the type was rendered in the color white which I could see. So I posted using Firefox.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 3:43 PM

A negative shutdown code may indicate a hardware problem. The precise meaning of the codes is not publicly documented.

If you haven't already done so, you can try resetting the System Management Controller. Otherwise, or if the reset has no effect, see below.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 3:43 PM in response to 31Tus

A negative shutdown code may indicate a hardware problem. The precise meaning of the codes is not publicly documented.

If you haven't already done so, you can try resetting the System Management Controller. Otherwise, or if the reset has no effect, see below.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Freezes and Odd Behaviors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.