Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wireless keyboard/mouse (Microsoft Wireless 3000) is being run through a four port KVM Switch (IOGEAR GCS10794). My Windows 8 computer is able to recognize the Microsoft Wireless 3000. However, my OS X 10.10.4 MacBook Pro Does not recognize it.

My wireless keyboard/mouse (Microsoft Wireless 3000) is
being run through a four port KVM Switch (IOGEAR GCS10794). My Windows 8 computer is able to recognize
the Microsoft Wireless 3000. However, my
OS X 10.10.4 MacBook Pro Does not recognize it.
Why?

More Information:

Devices Used

1. KVM Switch: IOGEAR GCS1794

2. Computer: DELL XPS

3. Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina 15 in. Mid 2014)

4. Wireless Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft Desktop 3000 (a single USB dongle shared by BOTH keyboard and mouse)

5. DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor (used as an external monitor)

Operating Systems

Windows 8

OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite

Compatibility

KVM Switch: IOGEAR GCS1794 and the Wireless Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft Desktop 3000 are OS X Compatible

Device Connections

Both computers are connected to the KVM Switch via IOGEAR HDMI Cable

Both Computers connected to DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor via IOGEAR Display Port Cable

DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor connected to the KVM Switch: IOGEAR GCS1794 via IOGEAR HDMI and Display Port Cable

USB dongle for the Microsoft Desktop 3000 is plugged into the front panel USB 2.0 Peripheral Sharing Port

Other Notes

There are separate USB 2.0 connections for a mouse and keyboard on the back of the KVM Switch: IOGEAR GCS1794. However, IOGEAR Support instructed me to use the front panel USB 2.0 Peripheral Sharing Port since the keyboard and mouse SHARE a SINGLE USB 2.0 dongle.

Results

The DELL XPS (Windows 8) Computer with lid closed

1. ABLE to Receive Video on DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor

2. NOT ABLE to Receive Audio on DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor Sound Bar

3. ABLE to operate wireless mouse and keyboard

4. ABLE to see wireless mouse arrow on DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor

The Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina 15 in. Mid 2014) (OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite) Computer with lid closed

1. ABLE to Receive Video on DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor

2. NOT ABLE to Receive Audio on DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor Sound Bar

3. NOT ABLE to operate wireless mouse and keyboard

4. ABLE to see wireless mouse on DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 2:44 PM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2015 5:29 PM in response to 1233sd

okay-were there drivers for the keyboard and mouse in question? were they installed before? do they need to be updated?

as for your audio question. You may be able to go to sound, then output, and set the sound to output via HDMI (not automatically)

so-you are plugging the dongle for this keyboard and mouse set (which I'm assuming is USB) directly into the 4 port IOGEAR KVM switch, and not into the computers directly? Hmmm.... MS says it's good up to 10.7 on the mac side so IntelliType it would be? I have an MS explorer mouse which works fine in 10.10

so....I dunno?? I give up for now. Try repairing permissions and seeiing if the driver is installed okay. Maybe the USB isn't getting enough power ??

JB

Jul 9, 2015 12:32 PM in response to 1233sd

PROBLEM SOLVED! I hope this may help someone else. Here's what I found out:

When all else FAILS....FOLLOW DIRRECTIONS....TO THE T!!!

It all starts with the KVM switch and the order ports from the various devices are connected. In order to get the keyboard and mouse to work on my MacBook Pro I had to start from scratch so I:

1. Unplugged the KVM Switch and disconnected all its connected devices and displays

2. Powered Down both computers

3. Plugged in the KVM Switch after 30 seconds

Then, in order to get the keyboard/mouse to work on the MacBook Pro I had to establish the following connections in this order:

1. Plugged in the KVM Switch

2. Connect the display HDMI to the monitor and the counsel HDMI port on the KVM Switch

3. Connected the SHARED keyboard/mouse USB 2.0 Dongle to the USB 2.0 Shared Peripheral (you can use the front or back port).

4. Connected the HDMI Cables for my DELL XPS and MacBook Pro to input 1 and input 2 respectively on the KVM Switch

5. Powered on BOTH computers

*The keyboard and mouse work great on both computers

*NOTE: IOGEAR says the keyboard/mouse will only work if the dongle is connected the FRONT USB 2.0 Shared Peripheral. However, I tested it and it works on the back as well.

Then, in order to get the Soundbar to work on the DELL 2408WFP Display Monitor to work on the MacBook Pro I had to establish the following connections in this order:

1. Connect the AUDIO LINE IN cable from the Soundbar to the HDMI Audio Out on the display monitor.

2. Connect the remaining AUDIO LINE IN Cables to the KVM Switch on the following inputs: Counsel, Input 1 and Input 2.

3. Select the correct input/output on the MacBook Pro by:

A. Clicking on System Preferences

B. Clicking Sound

C. Clicking OUTPUT

D. Clicking DELL 2408WFP

*NOTE: I tried this BEFORE unplugging the KVM Switch and all its connected devices and got static on the soundbar. Once everything was unplugged and reset, it seemed to work fine.

Other Devices Connected (not listed in original question).

1. Logitech USB 2.0 Headphones with microphone were connected to the FRONT USB 2.0 shared peripheral port. BOTH

COMPUTERS recognized the headphones w/microphone using my SCOPIA Desktop App.

2. Logitech USB Camera (connected to the BACK USB 2.0 shared peripheral. BOTH COMPUTERS recognized the camera with

the SCOPIA Desktop Application I was using.

NOTE: I only had 2 USB 2.0 shared peripherals so I had to disconnect the headphones with microphone so I could keep the wireless keyboard/mouse and the webcam. I connected a set of the Logitech USB 2.0 Headphones with microphone to each computer.

My wireless keyboard/mouse (Microsoft Wireless 3000) is being run through a four port KVM Switch (IOGEAR GCS10794). My Windows 8 computer is able to recognize the Microsoft Wireless 3000. However, my OS X 10.10.4 MacBook Pro Does not recognize it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.