Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to 12.2 cannot update Ipod Classic

Since updating to 12.2 I cannot update my two Ipod Classics (120s).

When connected after install, both mysteriously caused new drivers to be loaded and then froze. Reboots etc. do not cure the problem, I'm guessing it's a total reinstall required ?

Any ideas? Or is it just a poor release again ?

iPod classic (120 GB), Windows 7

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 7:09 AM

If in doubt, rip it out.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Stumag

If in doubt, rip it out.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jul 11, 2015 10:26 AM in response to turingtest2

when following your help in recovering my 700+ cds, everything seemed fine until connecting my ipod classic. now same symptoms as others noted. however, when connecting to my laptop, (without trying to recover the music) the same ipod calssic connected just fine. so now i sit with a desktop with 800+ cds that won't connect to my ipod classic, or a laptop with no music that will connect with the ipod classic. let's see if that one will stump you.

p.s. i have uninstalled (and reinstalled) itunes 3 times on my desktop.

thanks for the help

Jul 11, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Stumag

This problem seems to be impacting MANY iPod Classic users (myself included). I did try the advice of removing and reinstalling iTunes itself as well as restarting my iPod, and the iPod service is running, but it can't be restarted and attempts to sync my iPod not only fail but leave my system in a state where I can not reboot it without forcibly powering it off (with the power button). I will do the steps of removing all the cruft, but it really should not be necessary, this iTunes update clearly has issues for many users, and many will have to do a lot of extra work as a side effect of a problem that really should have been caught before the update was released.

To the original poster: Could you expand on what specifically you did that resolved the problem for you? Was it the complete deinstall of iTunes and all the related components from Apple? Or something simpler? As turingtest2 notes in the excellent technical note he cites, removing everything and then doing a clean install is a lot of work.

Jul 12, 2015 9:18 AM in response to 1classicuser

That's what I observed when I tried to restart the service after iTunes got confused trying to sync my iPod, and it's so thoroughly hung at that point that you can't restart it, it won't stop, and if you try to shutdown (or restart) your system (at least my Windows 7 SP1 system) you hang during shutdown and need to force a power off. Nasty bug.

Tom

Jul 12, 2015 11:30 AM in response to DrTom from NH

Well, I just went through the "rip it out" approach, and it looks like iTunes may have succeeded in syncing my iPod classic 160GB, although when it got to the end and said that it had completed the sync, I tried to use the "eject the iPod" control on the iPod status page, and it gave me an error about being unable to find the disk or the like. This is a bit crazy, since I don't have the box checked to allow disk use, but the iPod winds up showing up as a disk in my Windows 7 "My Computer" display, and also as a disk in the device manager's device status. So perhaps not all is well, but it does look like it managed to do a sync and it doesn't seem to be hung.

Jul 12, 2015 3:14 PM in response to DrTom from NH

Actually........Just updated my IC and after updating now getting the same message as DrTom,'Disk not found , despite having just updated and screen iconology definitely shows iPod connected. Syncs are now also taking about 3x longer. Also same as DrTom, iPod not ticked to allow disk use, showing up as disk in root etc. There is obviously a fundamental issue here, is it a Windows setting, or could it be the update and new device driver that reloaded on iPod connection ? Hhmmm........

Jul 12, 2015 8:13 PM in response to turingtest2

Interesting, when I try to follow the link to the "32 bit iTunes for 64 bit systems" page in the KB/DL1784 I get this error:

We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

One has to wonder if the "older video cards" version has gone away.

Further to my experience syncing my iPod Classic, as far as I can tell the sync actually succeeded, at least vis-a-vis my songs, an album I just added this afternoon before doing the "deep clean and reinstall" was present on the iPod, but the sync operation didn't seem to complete cleanly, since when I told iTunes to eject the iPod, I got the error message about not being able to find the disk, even though the iPod was visible to the system as a disk and none of the devices were flagged as having problems in the device manager. I just unplugged the iPod and it seemed completely happy. So something is still not right but it's working much better than it was. The acid test will be whether I can sync my OTHER iPod Classic without having to reboot the system first, and also whether when I next try to restart my system it will shut down cleanly rather than hanging trying to shut off the iPod service / driver.

Jul 13, 2015 6:14 AM in response to DrTom from NH

DrTom from NH wrote:

The old link seems to have been to the 12.1 version, and they apparently made a new kit for 12.2 when it came out and just got rid of the older one, which isn't good if someone using that runs into a problem with the 12.2 version "for older video cards". It would seem to me they should have provided both, but there you have it.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Anybody running 64-bit Vista should have a route through to the 12.1.2 version, since 12.2 needs Windows 7 or later.

tt2

Since updating to 12.2 cannot update Ipod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.