Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme 4th gen, wired setup?

I am in the process of setting up my home network in the basement of my house with the following basic setup:

My plan is to have modem > router > gigabit switch > patch panel > cable drops

I would then add a wireless access point to the main floor.

I'm currently using an old netgear WNR2000v2 router which is not gigabit ethernet. I've seen some Airport 4th gen products on the open market for $40, my question is: If I'm planning on disabling the wireless on the 4th gen Extreme and use it as a wired router only, is it worth the $40, or should I just fork over for a new apple extreme? Would I be missing some performance by using a late 2009 airport extreme?

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 2:24 PM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Kferch

$40 would be a great bargain if you only plan to use the AirPort Extreme as a wired router......IF......the product comes with the understanding that you can return it if you are not satisfied.

90% of the time, any problems with the product are the result of the outboard power supply heading South. But, you can get a new power supply for $20.

The AirPort tends to run warm, so it will need plenty of airspace and good ventilation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE-AIRPORT-EXTREME-BASE-STATION-POWER-SU PPLY-AC-ADAPTER-A1202-/370810566512

A new AirPort Extreme....set up as a wired router....will not do any better than the $40 dollar product that you are considering.

Airport Extreme 4th gen, wired setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.