Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

location services without wi-fi?

I have a 3rd generation wi-fi only iPad. I hace iOS 8.3 installed. some how, after downloading the google maps app, I saved a map from the city of philadelphia, and I was able to drive all the way to delaware using that map, and it located our location in the map in real time, it even gave us instructions on how to proceed just like a gps. Does anyone know how can this happen? Again, I'm 100% sure it had absolutely no wi-fi or any other kind of connection.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3, using latest google maps app

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:14 PM

k_bron wrote:

Again, I'm 100% sure it had absolutely no wi-fi or any other kind of connection.

Don't place any money on that belief!

Non-gps location services does not rely on WiFi connection(s) but it does rely on presence of WiFi systems. You were driving through nearly the most congested part of the country and you were probably never out of reach of a WiFi system during your entire trip. Again, location services utilizes the locations of known WiFi routers without actually connecting to the routers for data transfer.

Several years ago, when I first purchased a WiFi router, my location was always identified some 25 yards from my house (which is not bad for router location services). It was actually goofy. I experimented with some neighbors unpowering and repowering various routers and my location danced around the neighborhood, depending on which units were powered!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:14 PM in response to k_bron

k_bron wrote:

Again, I'm 100% sure it had absolutely no wi-fi or any other kind of connection.

Don't place any money on that belief!

Non-gps location services does not rely on WiFi connection(s) but it does rely on presence of WiFi systems. You were driving through nearly the most congested part of the country and you were probably never out of reach of a WiFi system during your entire trip. Again, location services utilizes the locations of known WiFi routers without actually connecting to the routers for data transfer.

Several years ago, when I first purchased a WiFi router, my location was always identified some 25 yards from my house (which is not bad for router location services). It was actually goofy. I experimented with some neighbors unpowering and repowering various routers and my location danced around the neighborhood, depending on which units were powered!

Jul 8, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Philly_Phan

hey that's amazing. Thanks a lot for your response. I actually thought that since the map was saved that the ipad could use the accelerometer or giroscope or any device it has to recalculate position, but now that you say it, I can only think of how wrong I was. just for the record, what cheesestakes do you prefer and recommend? Pat's, Geno's, tony luke's or any other.

location services without wi-fi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.