Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Explicit lyrics in Apple Music

I have my iPhone, MacBook (in iTunes preferences) and my kids devices all with restrictions turned on to restrict explicit lyrics yet they keep slipping through when I am playing Apple Music. Is anyone else noticing this? All of the devices have restrictions turned on and I am restricting music with explicit content in preferences in iTunes on my Mac.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 7:11 PM

I actually have the complete opposite issue: I don't have any restrictions on explicit lyrics, however, apple music keeps playing music with the restriction. I have the restriction turned off on my iPhone 6 and Macbook Pro but it only plays the clean music on my iPhone and the Macbook has no issue.

20 replies

Jul 9, 2015 6:33 PM in response to annabanana84

OK I had read your previous post about this, and I also had and maybe have still this issue. You mean some songs and not all explicit songs, ok.

I had for instance the problem with scream and shout by will I am and with I love it by icona pop.

Both now are in the explicit version.

For instance you may give me a title still censored and I can double check.

Furthermore some songs are only in a particular edit which is not the radio edit. For instance don't talk just kiss by right said Fred. You may find latest mix but not the radio original edit of 1992

best regards

ciao

Jul 9, 2015 6:46 PM in response to marcograssi

I'm having issues with songs like "The Hills" by The Weeknd and "Talking Body" by Tove Lo that I purchased directly with iTunes. Before the apple music update, there was no issue and it was playing the explicit version. After the update, my macbook plays the song with no issue however, my iPhone plays the clean version. This issue doesn't appear with songs I got from another source.

Jul 9, 2015 7:09 PM in response to annabanana84

Nice songs.. really. Ok I played them from Apple Music directly (I don't own them) and they are not in the clean version. Have you tried to enable iCloud library (or equivalent if you don't use iCloud) ? Before enabling this feature all my playlists were hidden and some songs replaced.

Songs I bought before Apple Music from Itunes like scream and shout play "dirty" either playing it from my library or from Apple Music :-) so my device is ok.

What's odd with yours ?

Maybe it's in some strange lock and need to exit.

You may try to disable explicit lyrics, reboot and than re-enable it and also enable your playlists or iCloud.

Really sorry about this. Should it depend on your region default Apple Music settings ?

Jul 13, 2015 12:50 PM in response to annabanana84

I have the same issue as annabanana84. The majority of my music is ripped from my own discs, but a few are purchased from iTunes. Once I turned on Apple Music and iCloud sync I've noticed my explicit songs (including the ones purchased from iTunes) were replaced with censored versions. I have not checked back on my MacBook yet to see how it is there. Extremely frustrating.

Jul 13, 2015 4:03 PM in response to mmdrsmr

I have noticed Apple is doing a pretty terrible job with its designation of Explicit music. I have Explicit filters turned on for all my family devices yet plenty of explicit (per my standards) make it through - it appears they are not tagged as explicit at all. Seriously, how are the words sh*t and f*ck not considered explicit? Maybe I'm just getting old as society slips further and further into moral degradation, but in my opinion Apple's explicit/non-explicit designation should mirror public airwave standards. If you can't play it on the radio, why are you playing it on my device even if I have the explicit filter on? Sad.

Aug 17, 2015 12:44 AM in response to mmdrsmr

At the beginning, my explicit/clean button on the restrictions settings was grey; i couldn't choose explicit, only clean. I updated my ios to the latest version today, and now i could choose explicit but i still have all the music clean version. So basically nothing changed after the update. I did a reboot, signed out and in, turn on and off restrictions, change to clean then explicit. Nothing is working, and its annoying that i can't play any music on explicit. If you know anything that could help please let me know.

Explicit lyrics in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.