Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't play Netflix.

I keep getting the Error Code: S7361-1253. Netflix says to restart the computer but it still won't play after restarting. Firefox will play Netflix. I tried getting rid of flash player and silverlight and reinstalling them but that hasn't helped either.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:45 PM

5 replies

Oct 18, 2017 2:00 PM in response to brempel

Ok, I've been trying to get help from both Apple and Netflix and neither can help. I think I stumbled onto the problem/solution while trying to fix another issue.

I was getting error code S7353, which Netflix kept saying that they didn't have an error code like that. I could watch Netflix through Opera.

I had tried everything that Netflix and Apple suggested including deleting database files for Netflix, removing and reinstalling Silver-light and several other things to no avail.

Today, i needed to boot into safe-mode. I thought, for the heck of it, I would try to run Netflix on Safari in safe-mode. It immediately showed that I needed to install Silver-light of which I knew I had already done so I thought "this isn't going to help" and continued to reboot my computer in regular boot up.

As soon as I launched Safari, since Netflix was the last page that I was on, Netflix came up, of course, but this time, it popped up a message asking me to TRUST SILVER-LIGHT. I clicked TRUST and it immediately started working. I can now watch Netflix on Safari.

I called Netflix and they immediately said that they are having outages on Safari. I told the girl that answered about my experience and asked her if she would let the engineers know and maybe they can start using that to see if it will help others. She said she was shooting it up to the engineers. I'm kind of doubting it being her response was so quick and she didn't seem to be listening in the first place. I wanted to put her on the spot and ask her what she was going to "shoot up to the engineers", but I decided not to. If this helps, please let me know.

Things I had done:

Deleted Netflix database files for Safari, Reinstalled Silver-Light

booted into safe-mode by shutting down the computer, holding the left shift key and turning on the computer while not letting go of the shift key. (If you are successfully in safe-mode, it will seem like your computer is glitchy as the screen will refresh or flash everytime you do something and trying to watch Netflix show - getting the "Need to Install Silver-Light" message. Shut down computer. Unplugged the power for 1 minute (Its important to actually unplug the power from the computer, not just turn off a power switch or other power supply - MUST unplug power cord from computer)

Plug power cord back in. Boot normally. Immediately launch safari and try to watch Netflix. What you are ultimately trying to do is get the computer to prompt you to trust Silver-Light. I couldn't get it to do this by removing Silver-Light and reinstalling, but then, by doing all of this, it finally prompted for me to TRUST Silver-Light and worked immediately!

Jul 7, 2015 5:26 PM in response to brempel

First, make sure you have the latest version of the Silverlight plugin.

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady/mspr.hds

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a file named "mspr.hds" selected. Quit the browser if it's running. Move the selected file to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password. Relaunch the browser and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Credit for this solution to Steven B. Combs of Ivy Tech Community College.

Safari won't play Netflix.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.