Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does iOS determine if the SSID is a Hotspot Unsecure/Open vs Private Unsecure/Open?

How does iOS determine if the SSID is a Hotspot Unsecure/Open or a Private Unsecure/Open?

my iPhone has connected to a captive network before so the captive network assistant does not show anymore (mac authentication) and now my iPhone prefers that Open network over a secure private network. I can forget the network but will have to do that continuously when I attempt to reconnect when I'm out. I have already determined that signal strength is not an issue.

article listing the order of preference:

How iOS decides which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 5:47 PM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 5:54 PM in response to cgotogi

If it is an unsecured network that requires signing it, it detects this by attempting to open a test URL owned by Apple. If it is a secured network instead of the Apple site you will see the login screen for the site. If it detects the Apple site it will assume it is unsecured. But it remembers this status. So the next time you log in to the unsecured site it will not do the test. If the site requires login again you will have to open Safari and go to any site; this will force the router to display the login screen.

How does iOS determine if the SSID is a Hotspot Unsecure/Open vs Private Unsecure/Open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.