Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden "uncertified cable" error on iPhone 5s

Up until today, we had no problem using 3rd party cables to charge and sync our phones. Now, all of a sudden, I am getting a message saying that my cables might become unreliable because they are not certified.

Is this a craftsmanship issue, or is it Apple somehow managing to subversively force everyone to buy Apple certified cables?

Please help, this was not an issue yesterday, but now my photos won't upload to our iMac and my phone won't charge off our mac.

Thanks.

Okay, it just synced...so confused.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:39 PM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:49 PM in response to mama_ren

With the past couple iOS versions the system has been checking the cables to make sure they meet the Apple cable spec. That has not been an issue for Apple cables and those from the high quality suppliers, like Belden. Others have resulted in unsupported device errors. But, even Apple cables have at some point started giving the error if the cable has started to fail.

This has been a reliability issue, though it is annoying for those who want to buy the less expensive cables.

The sensitivity is greatest with the Lightning connector cables.

Sudden "uncertified cable" error on iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.