Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating OS to 10.10.4 and Itunes to 12.2 cannot open Itunes correctly - get only menu bar across top and nothing I do opens normal Itunes screen

Since updating OS to 10.10.4 and Itunes to 12.2 cannot open Itunes correctly - get only menu bar across top and nothing I do opens normal Itunes screen

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:57 PM

5 replies

Jul 7, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Snikaria

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion or Lion

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, download and install the OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update.

Put iTunes in the Trash. Open the App Store, click on your Purchases icon in the toolbar. Locate your iTunes entry and re-download it. Or download it directly: Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now.

Jul 8, 2015 4:40 PM in response to Kappy

I had a response from Linc Davis as follows:

Linc DavisJul 7, 2015 8:58 PM Re: Yosemite and Itunes update causing problems
Re: Yosemite and Itunes update causing problemsin response to Snikaria

Apple Support has given the following instructions to others who had a similar problem.

First, back up all data.

Select the iTunes icon in the Applications folder and open the Info window. Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner to unlock the settings.

In the Sharing & Permissions section, change the Privilege setting for each Name in the list to Read & Write. Close the window. If the settings aren't visible, click the disclosure triangle on the left so that it points down.

You should now be able to drag the iTunes application to the Trash and empty. Your iTunes data won't be affected.

Click the iTunes link at the top of this page, download the Installer package and run it.

I followed that and was able to Trash Itunes. Then downloaded both the Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update as you suggested and also the Itunes program and installed both.

No change. Still get the menu bar at the top but nothing I have done opens up the screen and I cannot see anti of my music, etc. If I use Finder to go to some music I can then chose to open a piece with Itunes and it plays - but in the background without any sign on the screen.

I don't know what else I can do.

I know the Itunes is on in the background because sometimes I lose even the menu bar but if I click on Force Quit it shows up as running but even when I click on F3 to show all running programs it doesn't show at that time. I have to Force quit and re-launch and then I get the menu bar showing.

Does this tell you something?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.